Thursday, July 29, 2010

Alaskan Fireweed Immatation Honey


I was talking with someone who spent a lot of time in Alaska. We talked about honey and she told me about Alaskan Fireweed Honey. To me I thought she was talking about their local bees producing honey from fireweed nectar, but she was talking about artificial honey. Here is a recipe I found on the net to make Alaskan Fireweed Honey without the need for bees:

What is needed is 50 crimson clover blooms
Ten white clover blooms
18 to 25 fireweed blooms
¾ tbs alum
5 pounds of white sugar
3 cups of water
Wash blooms in cold water (gently rinse) to remove little critters.
• Put all ingredients except water in pan, then pour boiling water on.
• Let sit for 10 minutes.
• Bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes.
• Strain through cheesecloth.
Put in canning jars and water bath process for 10 min. before sealing lids

She gave me a sample of this artificial honey and it does taste a lot like honey, though my educated pallet can taste the difference. It is also a bit thinner. It is still pretty good and I bet it is way less expensive than honey up in the North.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Who'd have thought someone would try making artificial honey? Very interesting.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

wow, good timing, the fireweed is blooming like crazy now.

6:45 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmmm... artificial honey. That just doesn't sound good. Think I'll stick to the real thing. Until they outsource the production runs to China or Pakistan, anyway.

8:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I agree, but up where it's cold and it's difficult to keep bees it probably costs less to make than to ship to ship honey.

Auntie, leave them for the bees.

Darev, normally I'd be very opposed to this considering how the maple syrup industry never defended their product. Now they can use HFCS with maple flavoring and call it maple syrup. I'm also tweaky about things that display the word "HONEY" on their label while honey is not the primary sweetener.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home