Saturday, August 07, 2010

The Irish Summer



This is probably the strangest summer I’ve ever seen. I think we’ve had three warm days in late June, but since then I can’t recall when I’ve seen a blue sky. Every morning everything is wet with mist. Then by mid day most every thing is dry, but the sky remains clouded until the mist returns in the evening. Most days are around 60 to 70 degrees. I feel bad for the rest of the country that has had a miserable hot summer, but the climate that we have here is perfect for me. Remember I moved here for the gloom.

This odd summer is preventing the garden from growing, but the weeds are doing well. Normally I never have to cut the lawn from mid July through September because it is dry and brown, but we’ve been cutting and need to cut it again. Everything is green, even the pastures. There is even moss growing on my truck.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Oooooo...... I would SO trade you places right now. Even with all of the bees. I'm tired of coming home every night feeling like a soggy french fry.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

you know I am as jealous as all get-out. Gahhh.....I frickin' hate Texas summers. (and I say 'hate' to the full potential that one can hate.)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Normally we're cool up here in Maine's mountains. Not this year. Sweltering hot with a super high dew point has been the norm. Really nutsy; 38F night, 80F day.

11:02 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I moved out here for the gloom. This is my favorite summer. I can't imagine living in Missouri of Texas and if it weren't for the black flies in spring I'd consider Maine.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home