Saturday, December 18, 2010

Out


During the summer our horses get out every day, but when it rains we keep them in. They aren't locked up in a stall. Our stalls have open doors and they can go in and out as they please. Outside their stalls we have a fenced in area where the entire ground is covered with thick rubber stall mats so they are never standing around in mud.

It's been rainy here just about every day lately, but the last two days have been dry and they got to do out today. The pastures are still wet and they did stir up a lot of mud and rolled in it, but it was good for them to get out. I've noticed them not liking the sight of one another over the past two days and this escalates over time so a day out breaks the monotony.

I wish I had old established pastures that two horses couldn't turn to mud, but I have what I have. I've seen some horses that are always standing in mud and I can't imagine how their feet aren't totally ruined. I constantly search my horses hooves for any sign of thrush which is hard to avoid in this climate, but in all the years we've had horses I am proud to say we've had the same bottle of Coppertox for close to ten years now.

2 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I can't imagine anybody being more meticulous with their animals. You're a good horse dad.

9:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm letting everything else go, but the horses are prime.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home