Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sufjan Stevens


I recently stumbled upon Sufjan Stevens on KANM. He sounded very interesting so I downloaded the album which they were playing. It is known as Come on Feel the Illinoise (that is the way the collection is spelled).
Within listen to the first two tracks I fount this to be the most intelligent and thoughtful collection I’ve listened to in quite a while.

Wikipedia lists Sufjan’s music in the following genres: Indie folk, baroque pop, folk rock, alternative, progressive rock, electronica, art rock, and experimental. However I have a hard time pinning any tag on this work. He employs all sorts of instruments and voices which can make one reflect on British concept albums, rock operas, Iron and Wine, the Decemberists, NRBQ, Owen Pallet and thrown in some Dan Fogelberg for that Mid-West feeling. Who needs New York and LA when sounds like this can be made from the spirit of the Heartland?

My words don't do justice to this collection. He also has several newer and older albums in his collection and I'm looking forward to spending time with each. By the way, he plans to release an album for each of the 50 states.


Check out this Sufjan Stevens Video

5 Comments:

Anonymous auntie said...

thanks for posting. he also does a song about John Wayne Gacy which took me on a weird internet journey this morning.....reading about Gacy brought back the reason why i think clowns are evil.

6:01 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Mmmmm... I like. Sounds a bit like Jason Mraz who I like quite a bit. Love the music combined with the banjo. Odd and very cool. Thanks!

8:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm going to have to get more of his stuff.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a friend who waxes fantastic about sufjan. I don't get what all the fuss is about. Perhaps I will give him one more chance.

3:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Joanne, it is more music for the head ranter than for dance. It is very interesting especially for those of us with a short attention span.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home