Monday, December 13, 2010

Rockers


There are simple pleasures that I often forget to take part in such as having a cup of afternoon tea, or having a glass of sherry. Another thing I neglect is our rocking chair.

Nearly every home has a rocking chair. My mother always had one in her bed room and we had an outdoor rocking chair on our porch. My wife bought one when she first moved in and she used it occasionally to rock her youngest son.

Once in a while I will find myself in our rocking chair and I thoroughly enjoy my time there. Our chair is wooden and hard but it is comfortable. It fits the butt and back perfectly. It's arms rise to the perfect height to attend to my arms.

Then there is the rocking. I've sat in chairs that have a springy action, and I've sat in chairs that slide back and forth, but nothing compares to rocking. It is so simple yet it is perfect.

I'd be willing to bet there is an under utilized rocking chair in your life. It's time to reacquaint yourself with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Hah! Great! Now I've got "Rockin' in the free world" stuck in my head! I think we have an old rocker out in the storage shed. May have to break it out again. I tried to make one once and never could get the rockers right. I made three different ones and they either went too far forward or too far back. I wonder if there's a formula or something?

7:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was about to tell you you were wrong, but then I remembered the upholstered rocker in the front room...it NEVER gets used. It's so comfy, too.

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you bet there is a formula. Chairs are difficult. It is best to look closely at the rocking chair without its rockers and you will see what I'm talking about. It's natural position is slanted back/

Joanne, glad I could reintroduce you.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home