Monday, March 07, 2011

Check Off Another Obligation


I have a grand sigh of relief when I fulfill an obligation. Somehow I am never troubled by short term obligations; meaning those that just come up. The troubling ones to me are things that I must do months in the future.

I have little anxiety in my life, but somehow I get anxious over future obligations. I taught a class on Saturday. I began planning this class back in October and I've taught this class at least thirty times in three states over the last ten years. It's always a good class with great students and excellent questions. I usually have repeat students that take the class every time I offer it.

Oddly my anxiety comes in the form of, what happens if I over sleep? I never do. What happens if I forget to bring something? I always forget something and it always works out. What happens if no one comes? I'll teach the class even if only one person shows up. I've had as few as three students and as many as 95.

It's all good. It always is, yet I feel relieved when it's over. Now I have only three long term obligations. One in July, September and November.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I could teach a class with three students in it. For some reason a class with ninety five students in it would give me the heebie-jeebies. Haven't figured out what the transitional number might be.

7:42 AM  
Blogger g said...

I'm beyond anxiety. I'm fit to be tied.

7:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, when there are more than 30 people you begin to feel like a motivational speaker.

g, time for some crazy pills.

5:27 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

I am a firm believer in "it always works out". The more we try to force, meddle or control a situation the more likely it turns into a headache. Roll with the punches and somehow brilliance comes through.

12:48 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

QQ, but it's the times that they don't that instills the fear.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home