Monday, February 21, 2011

Talk


Other than my brother I have only one other blood relative that lives here in Oregon. It is my father's youngest sister who is now 82 years of age. I have two living aunts and one living uncle. I haven't stayed in touch with any of them. I was always content with memories of family and I never felt the need to reconnect with them.

When my brother got his computer got in touch with our aunt in Oregon and she and one of her daughters came for a visit tonight. Though I am not all that social, I enjoyed seeing her and I learned a lot of things about other family members I never knew and I was reminded of many things I had forgotten.

I found it funny that the familial identity didn't register. Had I bumped into my aunt and cousin somewhere else I never would have suspected they were related. As I looked through some photos she brought I could see the familial resemblance in the photos of some other cousins. It seems that the family look is common and normally the men in my family resemble my nephew, Mark and the women in the family look like my sister. I can see the root of these facial features are tied to my grandmother. This woman had some powerful genetic material.

After three hours of conversation I was at my limit for socialization (long time readers will remember my limit is four hours) so I went home, but my aunt stayed at my brother's house for another couple hours. I promised I'd visit her and will make an effort to go to Eugene.

Oh, I forgot to take any photos.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Now that I live half a continent away from all of my family, I never see anybody anymore. We just communicate via email and the rare phone call. I do wish at times that we lived closer. It's a recurring wish of mine. On the other hand, we only live a mile or so from my wife's family and never see them at all and I'm perfectly content with that. I fervently wish we lived further away. Funny how that works, isn't it?

7:09 AM  
Blogger Frank and Carole said...

Michael who was this? I am thinking it was Aunt Lois daughter Pat or Carol? But that can't be right, so now I am curious. Thanks Carole, your other sister :)

9:27 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Carol, I'm not who you think I am and I don't know you, nor do I have an aunt Lois

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home