Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The House is Alive With the Sound of Peeping


I've lost four chickens in the last year and that does have an impact on egg production, so I wanted to add some more chicks to the flock. I got six chicks last week. They are living in a special tub with food, water and a heat lamp to keep them warm. In about two weeks I'll move to an enclosure inside the chicken coop and eventually release them to the general population.

During the weasel disaster of a year ago I was raising several Americaunas. Only one survives so I gave her away to a friend and the last I heard she is still laying.

My rooster, Blue is an Amercauna. He's a handsome bird, and these baby chicks will prove to be a gorgeous. They actually have an eagle-ish look to them through most of their adolescence. The bonus is that they lay green eggs.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Now if you could just find a green pig, you'd be in the big time!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Hey, I just got an email from your gmail acct...think you've been hacked/spoofed/phished--whatever they call it.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

darev: that would depend on how you read that phrase.

Green eggs ... and ham

Green ... eggs and ham

Personally, I always think of it as the first. Just the eggs are green. But that's just me. I'm sure some people like green ham. ;)

7:38 AM  
Blogger g said...

Angela told me egg production is up this week. Spring is almost here!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 30 eggs in the incubator due to hatch on the 21st and 25 chicks being shipped to me March 16th. No doubt the husband will want to hatch at least one more batch this year so I figure we'll have fuzz butts around all summer.

7:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, just leave the ham out for a few days and you'll have it.

Teri, yep, see today's post.

Walt I think you are right on this one.

g, I got 6 yesterday, but only three the day before.

Critter, you will be having chicken for dinner every day this year.

I wanted to get some hens that lay some really dark eggs that almost look like chocolate, but I'll get them next year.

5:27 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

cute chick.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home