Friday, March 18, 2011

Compressed Hay


My friend who is keeping her horse here has a different food menu for her horse than I have for mine. My horse is fed Berkenfeld grass hay and Purina Strategy. He horse is on an alfalfa diet, so she brings bales over and I keep both horses on their own diets.

She first brought over a three string bale of alfalfa which probably weighted 120 pounds or so. When that was done we got an 90 pound two string bale and when that ran out she got a compressed bale. Somehow she was able to get it into the hay room unassisted. On first sight I wasn't impressed by the bale but when I tried to move it I was shocked. This two foot cube weighed about as much as your average refrigerator. I stood back as I cut the straps as I envisioned the bale exploding and blowing out one of the walls.

Compressed bales are a great storage space saver, but I don't think I'd want to deal with them on a regular basis unless I had a fork lift.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

A couple of years ago I bought insulation for my shop. I think there were seven bats in each bundle highly compressed. I cut open the bundle and grabbed out the first bat and when i turned around again the rest of them had expanded and taken over the whole floor. Startled the crap out of me. When I got to the second bundle I cut it open and just sat and watched it unfold like some time lapse flower or a pink fuzzy mold creature crawling out of a petri dish.

6:38 AM  
Blogger g said...

Try moving the round bales.

8:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, If I were in the transportation business, compressed items would really turn me on.

g, they do roll, somewhat.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home