Thursday, March 17, 2011

Headlight Blues


I wish auto manufacturers would go back to the old style headlights. My truck, like most other modern vehicles use a halogen bulb that you insert into the back side of the head lamp. This is fine with some cars, but my truck has a problem spot on the passenger side where you have to take apart the air cleaner and the intake area just to get at the back side of the lamp. They you can't actually see what you are doing and the bulb can only go in one way where it is supposed to snap in that the hold down ring is supposed to hold the bulb in place.

I thought I had burned the lamp out again but the bulb got loose and partially fell out. I can not get the bulb to snap back in nor can I get it to screw down in place so now I have one focused lamp and the other side is best described as a night light. I think I'm going to have to take it into the shop. I've worked on it for hours now and I can't get it. The drivers side can be replaced in 20 seconds, but not the other side.

It's always one thing or another when it comes to mechanical issues.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

My mom took her RAV4 in to a shop to get a bulb replaced, 'cause I couldn't get to it. They told her they wouldn't charge, 'cause it would only take a couple minutes. It took them a little over 2 hours!

Old-style lights ... or bigger engine compartments, with all that extra space they used to have.

7:15 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Manufacturers do that stuff on purpose. They are in cahoots with the mechanics. Making things difficult to reach or requiring special tools. The old Volkswagen beetles you could pull the whole engine with a crescent wrench and a broom handle. Nowadays it takes a hundred different wrenches, a small crane and a degree in nuclear physics. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

The headlight in the picture is that of a 1964 Ford truck.
We bought our 1963 Ford truck in 1979; 32 years ago.
Last year I replaced both headlights. I sure hope the new ones last longer than the old ones.
:-D

10:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, that what I like about the engine compartment my new GMC, lots of room. Where my Dodge looks like an over-stuffed closet.

In the old days you could be a self taught mechanic, but I doubt anyone can do that anymore.

Gearhead, personally I hope you out live them.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home