Monday, March 21, 2011

Skyping


I recently reacquainted myself with Skype and video conferencing. I've been involved with video conferencing for nearly 15 years now. I once worked with a grant that put videoconferencing equipment in schools. Back then we used Net Meeting, a great program that seems to have disappeared. Then I was involved with reflector sites that started at Cornell and became popular with White Pine software, and now that whole thing is dead as well.

I'm surprised that video conferencing and video phoning isn't more common place today. There are conferencing chat sites and one that randomly takes you from person to person, but these sites are not recommended unless you want to watch men pleasuring themselves.

However standing above them all is Skype. I just reestablished my account and I convinced a friend to do it as well. I saw she was on line a few minutes ago so I Skyped her. We chatted for a few moments. It was a good clear connection. To me with was more fun than an email and less formal than a phone call.

The only problem I'm having with Skype is that I'm having a hard time loading it onto my Android. Does anyone out there have any suggestion or tips on how to load Skype on Android V 2.2? I understand it is possible.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

No help here on that. I'm no techie. My wife and her scrapbooking friends have been using Skype for close to a year now and she loves it. Much better than type chatting. She can walk around her workroom and do projects while she chats. They don't use the video part so much because it bogs down when you get more than two people in the chat. But the voice part is excellent, she says. Me, I'm not so chatty and sociable.

7:53 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Skype on Android: I'm almost positive that's what Dick Tracy uses.

8:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK, no help here. Any ideas on how to get linex on an older XP laptop?

5:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Get hold of Critter and have her ask Dad. He could do it, I'm sure.

6:45 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Linux on an older laptop? Hell, yes! Finally, something I actually know about! Except for one windows machine needed to run AutoCAD, it's all linux in my shop. Happy to help.

7:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mark, do you have a version that can wipe out windows and partitions and load on an XP machine?

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home