Monday, April 04, 2011

Water Mirror


This is a photo of the lake in Canada where I used to spend my summers when I was growing up. I took this photo from either a blog or a flicker account of someone who lived at the lake. They are relatives of people I knew. I didn't use the photo because of them, I used it to illustrate the feeling of that particular lake. I couldn't find any photos that were equivalent.

What I want to write about is mirror-like water. Though the background is dark and the water is dark you can see how reflective the water is there. I recall having breakfast at the large dining table that looked out over the lake. The water was flat and smooth nearly every morning until the winds kicked up in mid morning.

The flatness of the water enhanced the random fish breaking the surface to eat an insect leaving concentric circles that eventually succumb to gravity before those waves ever made it to shore.

This was the lure. We could see where all the fish were jumping and we knew where we would begin our day. We'd walk down the hill to the dock and our large wooden boat. Pushing off I would always watch as our bow parted the water. Once in deep enough water the motor would be started, and we would assault the mirror like water. The wakes would emit and and hit the shore and sometimes bounce back and catch up with us later.

The breeze stayed with the lake nearly until sun down. After dinner we would go back out an wait for the water to still and we would fish until we could no longer see the color of anything, which was the same time you could see the stars of the dark Canadian night sky reflecting off the water.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Wow. It sounds like the perfect place. I imagine it was hard to leave there. Should have just put in a garden and some bees and stayed put.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

this photo is like perfection.....

8:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev,It's a dream of mine. I'd just have to leave during Black Fly season.

Auntie, as are my memories.

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home