Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just Like Riding a Bike???


A while back I decided it was time to take a break from all leadership positions I was holding with several organizations. In one organization I held the position of Web Master. I think I performed this duty for seven or eight years and I was happy to turn the duty over to someone else.

To make a long story short, this person took over the site and did a wonderful job. He totally revamped the site and took the site to the next level. About a month ago this fellow got in a huff about something and he flat out quit so the organization asked me to take the site over again.

Last night I got an email from a member and he wanted me to add several event photos to the site. I figured it could wait until the morning so I went to bed, but I woke up at 3:30 AM in a bit of a panic. This is rare because it is rare that I ever panic about anything. I got up and headed down stairs to turn on the computer. I fired up the HTML editor, Dreamweaver and looked at the site. Suddenly it occurred to me that not only was the web architecture foreign to me, it was a totally revamped site, but I had also forgotten nearly everything I knew about Dreamweaver. Panic was setting in, so rather than obsess on it I closed off the session.

This is how I process difficult situations, I walk away. I went and watered in the greenhouse, then I started another session. I advanced a little then hit another wall, so I hung some laundry out on the line. I came back in and made a little more progress then hit another wall. I put the horses out on the pasture and collected some eggs and then took another crack at it. I finally figured out everything I needed to get it all loaded, linked and added to a drop-down menu after I vacuumed and dusted the house.

I felt I was a little over optimistic when I took the site over again, but I think I'll be able to handle it now. It's like getting on a bike, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I need to learn to do this your way. I catch myself scratching my head over something for hours, not getting anywhere. If I walked away and came back to it later after mulling it over a while, I'm sure I would be able to solve the issue without wasting so much time.

6:45 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Dang. I need a webmaster like you in my house. I've been putting off cleaning the gutters forever.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Lachlan said...

You'll do fine. It will take practice, but I think you're heading in the right direction. And taking breaks when you hit a wall is a great way to manage the inevitable angst of "How in the WORLD do I do X, Y, or Z?!"

8:54 AM  
Blogger g said...

Now you can take it to the next level with HTML-5. Add in a little CSS and you are set!

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I don't know...I just don't enjoy it like I did in the old days when we would jam out code with a text editor; when it was all new; when if we saw something cool on another page we would view source and copy it; back when we cut out teeth at a Geocities street address.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home