Wednesday, September 07, 2011

At What Cost?


I guess we should count ourselves as fortunate that we have a lot of rain most of the year. It encourages us to have gardens filled with non-native plants. Though we pile on tons of compost to keep the soil fertile and hold in moisture; August is a dry month that sucks any hint of moisture from a garden. Evidence of this is the increase of our water bill. Usually we pay about $30 per month for water, but I was shocked to see my August bill was nearly $90.

We used to use rain barrels, but we only could store 150 gallons and that wouldn't last long and was totally useless in August.

This is a high price for the joy of having fresh food. I'm thinking of sinking a well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

My last water bill (which covers 3 months) was $252.00. But I was away for most of the summer! And I don't have a vegetable garden. What were the boys doing in my absence?
Consider yourself lucky - compared to this Canadian.

5:14 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Maybe they filled a neighbor's pool. I had a neighbor once that would use my water when I went away. I ended up turning off my water when ever I left town.

5:31 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

As much of a pain in the butt that having a well can be, it always seems like the water is so much better than that stuff that comes from the city pipes. If I sent you some city water from here you would probably barf.

5:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Our water is great other than the water works shutting down the system a couple times a year for maintenance and the constant request for water samples to see if their water is picking up elements from the plumbing.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home