Friday, August 19, 2011

Conserving Cartons


I’ve written before about how the egg carton is to me one of the greatest ideas ever. Eggs are real fragile and as a container the egg carton is a perfectly engineered for the task of protecting eggs in transit and in storage.

Sadly, most egg cartons are used only once and then are thrown away, or recycled. Some people save them up for people with chickens and I used to gladly accept such donations, but then I realized I’d be better off not using cartons from other commercial brands. My eggs needed their own brand and identity. A while back I started buying blank egg cartons and I made a label and an insert which I paste on the outer and inner carton. The outer label simply describes the eggs and the brand and the inner label tells about the eggs, the chickens, our agricultural philosophy and the other products we have.

My egg customers are real good about returning the used cartons to me for reuse. I estimate I reuse them at least ten times before they get recycled. Sometimes the whole carton it trashed by then, sometimes only the labels need to be replaced. Every time I reuse a carton it ends up costing me less. A single use carton would cost me 50 cents and if I reuse that carton ten times it brings my packaging cost down to 5 cents per dozen. This fits in perfectly with out marketing and agricultural philosophy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I used to save my cartons for a lady Cliff worked with, but she finally had to many she said "Stop!" I wish I had someone who needed my cartons. I only use about one every couple of weeks, but I got in the habit of saving them and now I hate to toss them.

4:12 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I guess it never really occurred to me that you could buy blank egg cartons. At least not in feasibly small amounts. I always figured it was one of those things that would have a minimum order of 10,000 or so. Like the guy who wanted to make a new cookie using the same marshmallow creme they use in Moon Pies. The smallest amount of the stuff they sold was a railroad tanker full.

5:04 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, you should check to see if you have a local Free-Cycle where you live. It is a locally moderated yahoo group where people list things they want to give away. I've given away tons of stuff through our local Free-Cycle. Just try this link
http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Missouri

Darev, any good feed and grain store should have them.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

PS, I have an empty for ya.

10:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm coming to town so I'll bring you some eggs on Monday.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home