Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10


Today is the 5 year anniversary of Astoria Rust. It is at this point where I'm taking some inventory on the 1887 articles I've posted here over the last half decade. So many things have changed over the last five years. I like to think I've matured, though I'm sure we all like to think that.

I wrote this post about a month ago and at that time I had the full intention of ending the blog today. The point is I have already written my best stories. I got them out there and I no longer have to keep them confined to my mind.

Yokio Mishima believed that it is better for him to enter his heaven as a young, strong good looking man where he believed he would retain his good looks forever. I feel this way about this blog.

It's just like flipping through the TV channels and seeing that Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives is still in production. You have to ask yourself "what's up with that?" These shows should have ended years ago.

I'd rather be like a show that left with some dignity like Twin Peaks, The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica. We could have used some more content but we can now imagine how things would go on.

I spent the day Saturday at a beekeeping workshop, and like always a few thoughts came to mind that told me that this or that situation could be turned into a blog post. Oddly the ideas are still coming; though much slower.

I've decided that I am going to retire this blog eventually, but as of today I'm going into semi retirement. I'll write only when I feel like it.

What do I plan to do with all my spare time? Live, listen to Sufjan Stevens, write other things elsewhere, spend less time on the computer.

Thanks for reading and for all the comments in the past. Special thanks to all those who have been with me from the start.

There, I've almost run out of things to say. Lovies!

19 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

*sniff* I knew it would happen eventually....but still

And I just popped on here to wish you a happy blog-aversary. Good times and great articles.

I look forward to when you do feel like writing.

6:04 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Dang. And yay. You got me started on this roller coaster of rants and rambles. I had no idea what a blog even was until Critter pointed me in your direction almost three years and 798 posts ago. And through you I have met a community of literary lunatics I would never even have known existed. I'm sad that you are thinking of leaving. Your words have been a part of my mornings for quite some time now. But I'm glad it served it's purpose and helped you sort out the stuff in your head. And I will eagerly check every morning to see if inspiration has hit you again. Here's to hoping it hits you alot.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Patrick McGee said...

Lot of words Bee Keeper.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adios from Orange County -- you'll be missed!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

Now you have time, and more than enough posts, to put them in book form. Heck, enough for a couple books. LOL

10:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

You know, you could just leave the blog open and if something hits you once or twice a month you could post it. One of my favorite bloggers is the Midtown Miscreant, in Kansas City. He goes for days or weeks without posting, but when he does have something to say, it's worth waiting for.

1:19 PM  
Blogger g said...

I hope you keep posting articles. We all run out of stories sooner or later. I enjoy reading your current articles (what you are doing now).

Twin Peaks was an awesome show! Never missed an episode.

7:17 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Post when you have something to say; it's quality not quantity that brings me here.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will miss your posts!
I have learned alot from your writings!!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Boo

9:54 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Pink flamingos. And other lawn decorations.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

How about an article about all of the liberal kooks that are racing to be first in line for an electric car?
Why are they doing this? Is it to be "green" or to protray greenness?
Taking into account that these phonys will be trading inand purchacing a newer, "greener" model every few years,; are they really "green" or just STUPID?
Here's green:
I purchaced my '68 VW beetle 20 years ago. It gets between 24 and 28 MPG depending on how much coasting I manage.
The car is 43 years old. Liberal phonys would have bought a new "green" car at least 10 times in that period just for image!!
How much of our earth's resources are squandered for their vanity?!!
My VW has 364,000 miles and is on it's 5th engine.
THATS recycling and THATS green.
EAT SHIT LIBERAL PHONYS!!!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do, and will, miss you Guy...

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well darn. It's been great. Kitty

8:53 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

So.... Do you miss it yet?

8:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Not enough yet...

11:34 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Why did you steal that picture out of my head?

8:15 AM  
Blogger g said...

Lionel Richie says Hello.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

is it me you're looking for?

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home