Saturday, May 07, 2011

Some Horses Are Just Weird


I've met a lot of strange horses over the years. Each horse I've ever encountered had it own distinct personality, or should I call it a horsenality...

Thoroughbreds are thin skinned and don't like being touched; though some loved being rubbed between their neck and front shoulders. Brush them too vigorously and they won't stand for it.

I met another horse that didn't like dry hay. This one would always empty all the hay from his hay rack into his water bucket. He'd wait an appropriate time and then when soaked long enough he'd eat it as though they were noodles.

We recently had a horse that would only pee in his stall. He could be in the pasture all day and as soon as we brought him in he'd dash for his stall and pee.

We had another horse that would pee as soon as we let her out in the pasture. It was the first order of business for her. Most horses when put out will roll on the ground, run around a bit and then tuck into the grass, but this one would always pee first.

We had another horse that could tell time. I try to feed the horses on a strict schedule. This horse would get very vocal if I was ever late with his feeding.

We will be getting another new horse soon and I wonder how long it will take before she displays he particular quirk.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Most all animals seem to have a sense of time. Milking cows has shown me this in a big way. Back when I milked regularly, I tried to milk at 6 AM and PM, but sometimes I'd do a schedule like 4 AM and 6 PM, because of my early rising habits. Whatever the schedule was, the cows soon got used to it and showed up at the barn shortly before milking time. If I was late, they got very vocal!

6:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

My dogs can tell time. They get their chow at 11 am every day and they'll both come in and sit by my chair and stare at me. If I don't get up right away DJ will jump up on her hind legs and wave her feet at me and start singing. I wonder why thoroughbreds are so nervy? Seems like that trait would make them very difficult to work with.

9:31 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I can tell time without a clock as well. I know when it's time to get up and I know when to quit.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home