Thursday, August 11, 2011

Old Friends


Five years ago when I started the blog I became friends with Syd and a number of her fans. We were all exploring this blog thing together in the virtual blogosphere. Over the years many bloggers have traveled to Astoria, probably because of the colorful images I’ve written about over the years.

Lori Hahn (Hahn at Home) visited me and former blogger, Auntie. We spent an evening having dinner and drinks.

Matt Stansberry (Upstream in Oregon) and his beautiful bride met me for lunch at the Blue Scorcher one afternoon.

Trop (Greetings From East Jesus)and her lovely bride came over to Oregon on a business trip and she took the time to rent a car, drive to the coast and spend a night at our house.

Last week I saw on Facebook that another legendary blogger and photographer, Lachlin (My So Called Blog) that I’ve been following for five years was headed to Astoria. I imposed myself upon her hoping to meet for a beer, lunch or coffee, and she welcomed the meeting. We had a beer on her first night in town and lunch the following day. It was a visit with unexpected twists and turns around every corner such as a lost wallet, a wallet found and bar fight that we weren’t involved in.

I have enjoyed every encounter I’ve had with every blogger I’ve met. These people are bright and interesting and I wish the geographical distance between us was less. I’m not a hanging out type of person, but I could easily hang with these people if they lived closer.

Sadly, most of the bloggers in our old circle no longer blog. Syd posted twice in the last month, but less than monthly in the last year or so. I can’t recall the last time Trop or Weese (Weese just posted yesterday, first time in forever) or Laurie posted. Matt has been posting again, but his topic has been distracted for his fishing excursions to being a father and a newly discovered talent for art.

Lachlin and I discussed the demise of blogs, and we both promised to give it another go and how we would try to convince our old friends to pick up their pens again. I know you can never return to the way it was when times were good, but here is my effort to do my part. Anyone care to join in on the fun?

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Yours was the first blog I ever read with any regularity. And it is still the first blog on my reading list, right after the comic pages. But now there are 17 more blogs besides yours that I at lest touch base with every morning.

It seems to be an addiction.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

as Robert Palmer sang, Rev......"might as well face it, you're addicted to blogs"

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your blogging again...I have learned so much from your writings...It's like a course I'm taking from college.

12:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev and Auntie, you both need treatment.

Anon, here you can earn a BS in BS.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Lachlan said...

I'm so glad we met. It was a joy! Wallet drama be damned.

I'm still trying to find that "next post". Struggling against the blankness in my head. :(

9:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lach, sorry about the misspell. The stories are all there, just start by typing the first word.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Glad you're back.

3:27 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Heather, thank you. Getting my writing legs back.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Dalia said...

I'm on tumblr, now. blogger is so 2006. LOL

1:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Don't hurt me, I'm old...

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home