Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Peek-A-Boo



Well, it’s been three months since my last post. I’ve gotten a lot of emails asking if I missed blogging. My reply was often, “not enough, yet.”

I’m still not sure if I’ve had enough time off. It’s a luxury to abandon a discipline, kind of like retiring in a way. I remember when I left a ten year career with the Postal Service. It was such a relief to know that I would never have to work for and with so many assholes. I could let their images and voices that got into my head fade into a mist of retirement. I am in contact with one employee who is still there. We get in touch once a year or so. She tells me who retired or died. Somehow I can no longer put faces with the names and I’m OK with that. That was a long time ago. Occasionally I will have a dream (nightmare) that I’m back there again, but fortunately I forget my dreams quickly.

So why should I start the blog again? I had a clean break, why not just let it be? It’s hard to say. I still think in terms of a blog. I’ll see something and think I can use that in a post, or I’ll run across a photo on the web and think it would make a good illustration for a post.

It’s funny how the blog is still getting a lot of traffic. I’m still getting a lot of e-mail and comments on posts. I occasionally visit friends who were the recipients of the very limited edition Astoria-Rust coffee mugs and they are actually using them.

OK, so I’m back. I may not post as often, but I’ll be posting when I feel inspiration and the need.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love reading your blog, but do it if YOU want to do it!

5:24 AM  
Blogger weese said...

Hi guy.
I feel so much the same way. I stopped too..because we were busy. but I often thought of things I wanted to post. For me its more about being a diary of my life. But it seems when things are most interesting (usually during times of stress) that I stop.
And I actually regret it.

Ah well. Good to hear from you again.

6:25 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yaaayyyy!!! I'm glad I kept checking back. Aside from checking here every day you are in my thoughts alot. On the wall opposite my desk is a shelf with treasured things that I will often gaze at when I need inspiration. A flying monkey. A bacon lunchbox. A miniature Chinese terra cotta warrior. One old oil lamp from my grandfathers tugboat. A painted skull and a rampant dragon. And front and center on the bottom shelf right beside the miniature easter island heads is an Astoria Rust coffee cup. It's like a chotchkie zen garden and it always helps clear my mind. So even if you aren't always here, you are always there. Thanks, Guy.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I've missed you.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Postal service, huh?
So can I expect you to "go postal" on me someday when I make a crack about the dent in your tailgate?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Nice to see you back. Of course, it only works if it's something you want to do.

11:33 AM  
Blogger g said...

Cool!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG - think I wet my knickers and feel like I've won the lottery. Welcome back, CurMudgeon <3

8:38 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

and I love my mug. Every morning (but no blog to read when I'm drinking my coffee - NO PRESSURE, Guy ! )

8:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, that's my plan.

Weese, it does make it convenient to be able to look up how long ago an event happened. I've used my blog like a calendar of the past on several occasions.

Darev, a place of honor.

Trop, Lach and I were just talking about you the other day. I'm glad you are still checking in.

Gearhead, I go out of that job just before I took up arms. Real close, though. And I've come to accept my dents on both trucks.

Donna, It's nice to see you are still posting as well. The day you stop will be a sad day for the internet.

g, Maybe...

Auntie, I never accepted pressure from you before ; )

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Nice to have you back! My morning reading will be much more enjoyable.

6:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks, Jeff. I think Facebook and Twitter took a chuck out of bloggers. There it's easier to post a quick thought than thought out thought.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

I am glad that you are back, I have been checking weekly. Just read all of your updates.

11:16 PM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

Happy to see you pop up again!

5:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks,

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home