Saturday, August 13, 2011

Missed It


This is the first year of the last twenty-two that I was unable to attend the County Fair.

Instead of seeing all the kids who labored all year to produce a fine market animal or champion performance animal; I was driving in traffic with six lanes and traffic lights every block. Instead of seeing the joy of people eating Fair food, I saw robotic people in eating from fast food drive-through windows. Instead of seeing vendor tents I saw miles of roads laced of big box stores. Instead of seeing horses competing in an arena, I saw drivers competing for parking spaces in acres of lined asphalt. Instead of hearing the sounds of roosters, geese and cows; I heard sirens and accelerating engines and freeway sounds. Instead of returning home tired and filled with the sights, sounds and smells of the joys of summer; I returned to a hotel room that was identical to millions of other hotel rooms around the country with a sack of human feed. I’m glad that is over.

2 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

It was so hot for our fair this year I didn't even go. I would have been so hot and so miserable that it wouldn't have been any fun at all. Sounds like you would have settled for hot and miserable.

7:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

No I was just miserable, why add hot to the equation...

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home