Monday, August 22, 2011

The Extended Coop


You may recall the chicken coop I built two years ago. I built it and there it sat unpainted and unsided. Though it was an 8 foot by 8 foot structure I divided the inside to store a bale of straw and feed which gave the chickens a five by eight area for their housing. Inside their portion was six laying boxes and three dowel perches and it was nearly impossible to clean the coop, get alone gather eggs without stepping over the perches. With 18 chickens I felt like they needed more room, as did I for their maintenance so I added on a four foot by eight foot extension.



Then I scored some used cedar siding and used all but about 10 feet of the siding. Now all I need is some paint.


4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Me, I'd go with a stain/wood sealer. Make it look rustic with all of those different colored boards. But that's just me.

6:54 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

Love the siding. Agree with keeping it rustic.

8:20 AM  
Blogger g said...

Barn red with white trim.

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, The house is tight knot cedar and I want to try to get away from the compound look, so it's going to be paint.

QQ, rustic was the plywood look of the past two years.

g, exactly what I'm going to do. I was going to do green trim, but my wife thinks it will look like christmas, so I will do the trim in white and nature will turn it green.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home