Monday, July 10, 2006

Melanie



Melanie Brown (not Scary Spice of the Spice Girls)(and this photo is the first time I've seen her without her sunglasses) is a young Portland film maker who shared a long round trip ride with me to Bend, back in April. I’m not one who cares to spend time with people. Usually a half hour with someone is enough to make me feel as though I’ve been social enough for a few months. Melanie was different. We talked for hours on end, and by the end of the weekend I felt like I still could stand more conversation with her. This is rare for me. By the end of the trip I was missing my youth and wishing I had a daughter.

Melanie left for Africa a couple weeks later, and returned sometime last week. Her curiosity and fearlessness impressed me. She has lived in China, speaks fluent Chinese, works in the film industry, on and on, her stories kept my interest.

It was obvious to me that Melanie sees things with the eyes of experience that few people her age (31) could possibly have. She sent me link to a short film she made a while back, and a link to a music video she just finished this spring. She seems to give the impression that film making is just something she is tinkering with, but I have seen a lot of student films, and Melanie is far beyond that.

Check out the links and please feel free to share comments with her, or you may leave comments here.
Bartlett Pear

Here is the link to the video she did for the Binary Dolls, and she still won’t tell me where she got the goat from.

Binary Dolls

Keep up the great work, Mel... This is your true calling. By the way...can I interest you in a script I've been working on?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Melanie i miss you!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Melanie i miss you!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home