Thursday, July 06, 2006

The News




Let me talk about local TV news today (and how shallow I am). It seems that everyone has a local news show that they enjoy more than others. The competition in the Portland market is KATU, KOIN, KGW and FOX aka the fear news.

So, I shot FOX out of the box right away because their version of the news is sensational and fear mongering.

Next, KOIN, is really dull, kind of like watching cheese on TV.

I used to view KGW, but I really got sick of all of their news promos. I’m watching the news already, yet they still have to make me suffer with all the ads to get me to watch their news while I'm watching their friggin news.

OK, KATU news isn’t anything all that special either, BUT they have Julia Radlick (see photo above, she is a competitive skater as well.) I have a major crush on her... She is soo cute (See I told you I had a shallow angle on this whole thing.)

Frankly I’m not impressed with any TV news, except for Liberty News on Free Speech TV. (If you have cable you are probably out of the loop on this channel, along with Link TV and the Documentary Channel. You should really get a dish.) And after the local news is over it goes to all those national morning shows, Today, GMA, and the other forgettable one. Their talking heads are vapid at the very least. Realize it isn’t a news story if the story has background music. Also I am really annoyed by seeing the crawler on the bottom of the screen. If I wanted to read the news I’ll pick up a paper. Some cable news channels have so many crawler messages going on at once that the moving picture is now down to 1/3 of the screen. There is other news, weather, sports and stock reports all scrolling off in print while there is a head talking the news up in the corner.

And all the Hollywood news, does anyone really give a crap unless someone gets arrested and has a bad mug shot?

If you insist on using news crawlers, please give us a way to turn it off.

I find myself saying, "Is this really news?" way too often these days. In the mean time, Julia is hot, and I’ll look up from the newspaper when ever I hear her voice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

It seems that TV's problems are the same all over the world! ;)

Cris (Portugal)

9:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

See, it's a world wide plague. Thanks for checking in from the other side of the world, Cris.

12:28 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey, Manzanita, one of my former favorite towns. Bummer about all the development there.

I get leary when Microsoft and NBC enter the stage together. I will try it though and see if they are really able to report truthfully on real things that may impact their corporations in a negative way.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home