Friday, September 15, 2006

A State of Mind


Having spent time in several different states over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that the most loyal inhabitants are in Oregon, Texas and Wisconsin. All other states seem to have people who just live there, but in the three above mention states the loyalty runs deeply as though they were their own countries with their own nationalities.

If you see an RV on the road from Texas, you won’t have to look far to see either a Texas flag or some other Texas paraphernalia in full proud display. If you visit the home of anyone from Wisconsin, you won’t have to look far to see a cheese-head hat or a Bucky Badger lying around somewhere. Open their fridge and you will find brauts. If you are from Oregon, you more than 50% likely have a sticker on your car with the letter O on it that represents an Oregon College or University, or Oregon Public Broadcasting. And not only have you shopped in a Made in Oregon store (you probably didn’t buy anything there) but you probably know someone who has a product there. However when confronted with two products side by side, Oregonians will most likely choose the locally produced product even if it costs more.

Wisconsin is the Badger State, a rodent, ok but not great. Texas is the Lone Star State, and that’s pretty cool. Oregon is the Beaver State, another rodent…I’m not crazy about that, though I could see where some people would be pleased…ahem…

People from Oregon, Texas and Wisconsin seem to be proud and united but don’t let that fool you. Texans joke about East Texas, and others Texans joke about Austin. There is a political rift between Eastern and Western Oregon, the east being conservative and the west progressive. I don’t know enough about Wisconsin to know their divide, but I would suspect dairy users verses the lactose intolerant, Or those who vacation in Minnesota verses those who vacation in Michigan.

So I don’t care what state you may be from, if you think you have state loyalty more than the three states mentioned here; I’m not seeing it or hearing it. Cheer louder.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for the beaver!! I mean, it is not necessarily a bad thing and considering the euphemism... No offense Syd, but I have been patiently waiting for the Guy's initiation rite into your ranks. And the Guy is supposed to be a contrarian??

5:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, I may be a contrarian, but I am loyal to my friends. Even Syd's nomination into that exclusive club touched my heart. I love her so much...

Maybe you could fly down from the Great White North for the receiption.

So how's the Karma thing working out for you, Moosehead?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

LMAO. You two KILL me.

Smartasses, both of you.

The Beaver State, you say?

10:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It is, No shit! And I'm not lying like I was with the seagull story I tried to sell you the other day.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

LOL. Well, that didn't stop me from repeating it. :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

If Moosehead will allow me to speak Canadian... I really hosed you on that one, eh, Syd?

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go DUCKS!

12:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

See, ducks and beavers, all aquatic mascots here. They are based in reality. However the fact is that most people here have never seen a beaver, and they see ducks here and there. But if we were to have mascots that really reflected Oregon we would have teams called "The Stumps" , "The Snags", "The Wild Fires", The Mud Slides" or "The Slugs" and maybe even "The Nutrea".
Anybody got game?

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home