Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Dried Salmon County Police Are OK


I’ve never been arrested, so the only real dealings I’ve had with the police has mostly been as an observer. I’ve seen some hard core cops in action, and I wouldn’t want to be on the pointy end of their stick.

Where I grew up there was an organization called the PBA, or the Policemen’s Benevolent Association. I don’t know if they have that sort of thing out here or not. The funny thing was that most of the police officers where I grew up were anything but benevolent. If they wanted you to leave town they would beat you and lock you in a freight train. That was the 60’s and I’m sure things have changed there. And no, that not how I ended up here…

Now I must say that since living here I have yet to see a deputy in the county ever act unprofessionally. Every time I have ever had dealings with them I saw them treat everyone with respect and also give large helpings of benefit of the doubt. They’ve even pulled me over twice when I should have been ticketed, and they let me off. One time I even left my drivers license at home and they let me go. They have never been cocky or arrogant.

Anyway, this all comes to mind because I saw a county policeman who had chased a car to a locked gate on a logging road. The bad guy fled the scene, and here was this poor cop running through a clear cut while not dressed appropriately for that sort of service. He had his gun and utility belt and a radio and I’m sure his bullet proof vest probably all sorts of stuff on and I’m guessing the wrong type of shoes for the snaggy brush.

I would have been no help in my berkenstocks, but I did pull over and waited until his back-up arrived. Stuff could happen.

I read in the paper on Thursday that the runner was captured about a mile away.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are to be commended for standing by during the pursuit. Most people don't want to get involved and in this situation, they should do exactly as you did. Only the police should be on the chase, but your action of standing by could have been very helpful had the situation turned bad. I appreciate your positive comments about our local deputies. They have a large area to cover and I believe that they do a fantastic job.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our minds are on the same track this morning... I was working on a fairy tale, Iam writing...its about a compassionate DA...who judged his own success by the number of people helped rather than the number of people locked up....because other DA s could see how respected and loved the DA was by all he served...they copied him, and it made a better world....

8:56 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Respect is a wonderful thing, and it is something that is usually earned and not something that is granted. It seems that the County Police offer respect at each encounter, and it is probably reflected back at them more times than not, it's a good way to run any business or service agency. I'm sure they encounter their share of assholes and tactics other than respect need to be used.

But I'm just an average citizen who might go a little faster than the posted speed on occasion, or I might have a tail light out. Or I might have someone hunting deer in my pasture with a light at night. I'm just an average person who requires the services of the County Police from time to time. (Exactly 3 times in the last 18 years.)

In all situations I have to commend Tom Bergen's and John Reichel's (SP) foresight to hire an even tempered, respectful staff.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I don't know if I would have thought to wait or not. I hope so.

See, I CAN learn from you and laugh at your Berks at the same time ;)

10:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Berks lead one to live a cautious life. There is nothing like having a major foot injury by one's own stupidity.

Syd, I know you have a consealed weapons permit, so my money would be on you popping off a few shots as you drove by to get everyone to stand in place.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

LOL. You're probably right.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is the "fairy tale" coming along?

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home