Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gone to the Dogs


Other than wanting to share yet another photo of this dog, I feel it is time I address dogs. I am often asked why I am so down on dogs.

Now I have had a few dogs that became the best companions that a human could ever wish for. They do make life interesting, BUT when you rationally think about animals in the house you may question your sentimental side.

It first came to me when visiting a friend with a dog. This dog was doing things like getting up and lapping water out of the toilet, then it would drag its ass across the carpet. Finally it was begging for food all the time. So this dog was a bit disgusting. Then I come home and see that my dog portrayed equally disgusting behavior. So there I was thinking my friend’s dog was disgusting, and I’m sure that when my friends visited me they thought the same about my dog. It’s true, they are disgusting.

The next thing I don’t like is barking. Dogs have amazing hearing, so there is no need for them to announce things so loudly. Why are they trying to tell their fellow dogs for miles around that they need to be aware that we are getting a UPS delivery? I don’t need a dog to tell me that the UPS carrier is here, and I especially don’t need to know that there is a car turning around in my driveway at 3am.

I do my morning ritual of having coffee on the porch every morning and all my new neighbors have large loud dogs. It is getting crowded here in the country. People get tired of all the noise of living in town so they move out here and make noise. I guess to them it’s quieter noise, but not to me. One dog starts barking and then another and soon it is like coyotes baying, but it isn’t quite so musical or haunting. It is just annoying.

So if you let your dog drink out of the toilet before it comes to lick you face, good for you. However, when your dog commands my attention at 120 decibels, to announce that a chip monk just farted; bad for me. So for now, in return I’m down on dogs.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Oriental Express said...

I love dogs. Would rather have a dog than ten lousy friends.

Dogs are faithful, forgiving, love unconditionally, don't backstab and gossip half truths, etc.

I am no theologian but I think the Creator must also love dogs for d-o-g is G-O-D spelt backwards.

All the best to you from a fellow
blogger in Singapore,

Ganchau

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singapore? They eat dogs there, don't they? Maybe God is dog spelled backwards.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the lid down!

10:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

That doesn't always work. I had a dog that would flip the damn thing open. I swear that dog was part raccoon. She just prefered wild water, though fresh water was provided for her every day.

I did say that they are wonderful companions, though anthrophmorizing (SP)them is all in the heads of their keepers. If you want to worship them and grant them human status,I suppose you may, but I don't enjoy their 120 decibel chants. Nor do I enjoy picking up their shit. People in the country seem not to understand leash laws and their dogs roam free.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love dogs.
I think all dogs should roam free.
Dogs should not be on a leash!
I love dogs so much that any and all dogs that wonder onto our farm get a free contact with Dr. Remington.
I just want to help them OUT.

6:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You take them out back for their shots, eh? You are one sick bastard Gearhead.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just had to stick my thoughts here too!
Dogs are far and above more loyal than any human...and they dont complain about anything on this earth unless it is at a human that has a dark bad side... also..they dont bitch about each other and life itself.
Ya just gotta love em

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drat,,,I wanted to identify myself on that silly response...this is a friend from across the river...and btw...I have three of the blasted four legged loves.
j

10:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I know I will never convince dog owners just how nasty their pets really are, just like it is hard to convince smokers that they stink.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs, like any animal, can be gross. But some of that nasty behavior can be avertded by a) training your dog, b) choosing the right breed, and c) training your dog.

I'm with you on the barking thing. It drives me INSANE. Especially when the owners of said barker seem completely oblivious to the problem.

8:52 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lachlan, I'm happy you are visiting again. I was impressed by another blogger recently and then I realized the blog was the product of your partner. PNW writers are the best...and Syd of course.

All dogs I've ever had were extremely well schooled, but even with the training they still had undesirable dog traits. All animals have their faults, especially humans. I can be pretty disgusting, too.

But you know, we still support our animal shelter, and I'm sure one day we may have another dog. I'm just really down on them right now.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home