Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Having the Final Say


The photo above is of how someone got the last word. The Last Word can be fun, and think of all the last words that have yet to be discovered.

I find it very interesting how many people are critical of the Daily Astorian. This is our five-day a week daily news paper. They are accused of bad writing, bad editing, self serving editorials, favoring certain people, giving no credence to others. If you have a honeymoon with the paper you can do well with their coverage, but when that honeymoon is over, it’s over and you will pay.

A few years ago someone submitted a poem, which was printed and all the copies were distributed before someone found a problem. The problem was that if you lined up the first letter of each line it spelled “Forrester Sucks.” (He is the owner and managing editor). Heads must have rolled on that day. A poet got the last word over a journalist. This is so rare. I wonder if it is now someone’s job to look over submitted copy to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Evil Witch said...

Any idea where that headstone is? That hilarious.

7:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

No, I lifted the photo from flickr.com.
I collect interesting photos that sometimes demand some writing to go along with them. So sometimes my articles use illustrations, and sometimes the illustrations can use words.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting to me that THAT is the last word someone would want to have... I know at least one person who would probably have the same thing (if she wasnt scattered in the ocean right about now... lol)

I think we spend so much of our time telling people what NOT to do and say instead of rewarding/encouraging good work. It puts emphasis on the negative.

nice post...

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone has a choice...
Although we don't often see it that way.
The truth is we are not victom's...
More often our response to trial dictates
Experience.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the Daily Astorian, its ok, bad writing and all.
I see a problem with management(big turn-over of help)They could hire an investigated reporter.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that picture.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think that, if I moved to Astoria or thereabouts, I'd apply to write for the Astorian. It's too bad that they seem to have so many problems. But "Forrester sucks" is funny no matter how you slice it. :)

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one Porto...I don't know why but this reminds of the fella that wrote up his will and in it he states that he leaves all his worldly possesions to his wife on the condition she remarry...so that at least there will be one son of a bitch who is sorry he died.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what Kate said!

5:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey kids, I wa playing in Portland all day, so I figured I'd give you something fun. Looks like everyone behaved. That's a first!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home