Sunday, May 13, 2007

Good Things About Hotels


First let me say that when I stay in a hotel I never stay in a shit hole. I usually stay in a national or regional chain. I have had to stay in lesser hotels or motels on occasion like after being on the road for 18 hours and realizing it would be better to sleep in a bed rather than behind the wheel. Yep, places with painted cinderblock walls, warn carpets, leaking faucets… However now, my stays away from home these days are less spontaneous.

So in the places I now stay I must give my compliments go to the wallpaper contractors who work in hotel rooms. They usually do a great job. The carpet layers also usually do a good job.

Hotel furniture always seems sturdy and well made. The art in the rooms is getting much better these days as well.

I always wonder how it is that hotel rooms have hot water on demand. You turn on the hot faucet and hot water pours out within two seconds. How do they do that? I know it takes about 30 seconds to get hot water to my bathroom at home, but in a hotel, it’s always ready.

I’m also glad to see hotels offering to not wash your bed linens every day to save water, energy and money. I’m also glad to see them all using florescent bulbs in all their lamps these days. Some times the lights have to warm up to shine at full illumination, bit the light is soft like a regular light bulb.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Good or "bad" hotels/motels - I'm still leery of the comforters and duvets since watching CSI (the searching for DNA evidence...). Yuck.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always ask to see the room first.
Then I ask for NO ROOM SERVICE for my entire stay.
They always ask, "Don't you want your bed made and etc...?"
"No thanks. I like making my own bed."
Then I put the DO NOT DISTURB card on the door for the entire visit.
Why is the water always hot?
Hot water is always blazing through the building through 1 1/4" - 3' pipes, depending on motel size. That which is not used goes back to tank.
Here is one of the finest and cleanest places I have stayed:

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/cicri-residence-inn-chico/

Then for half price of the Marriot, (Because I'm a Farm Bureau member) I found another clean stay:

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=CA770&sid=1tr0i.DReW0gH1JM.8&sarea=28051&sname=Paradise&sstate=CA&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=39.75972366333008&slon=-121.60415649414062&schain=CI&exp=&scity=Paradise&sort=&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0

9:15 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Damn, Gearhead is a freak of nature when it comes to knowledge of every aspect of life.... :)

I like the really old drive up motels. Not the cheesy "stabbin' cabins", but the quality places. Without the vibrating beds.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're worried about ... "biologicals" ... in the hotel room, there are plenty of companies that sell "inspection lights".

My ex always brought her own cleaning supplies, and insisted on cleaning the bathroom herself. If she had had one of those "inspection lights", I wonder if she would have stayed at ANY hotel room.

The thing I hate worst about staying in a hotel, is when you ask for a non-smoking room ... and when you get it, the smell makes it obvious the person who stayed there before you smoked. The least the hotel should do is spray some Febreeze around.

One time, during one of my families trips across county ... we stayed at a hotel where you could hear the rats in the walls all night long. And I had an encounter with a cockroach in my toothbrush holder the next morning. But it was the only hotel in town, and I think my dad paid the bill just to leave ASAP.

Most of the times, we stayed at Motel 6 or Super 8. Economy hotels, but part of a national chain. Mainly because we could get a booklet of where their hotels were in each city (I think), so we'd know how far we could travel each day before stopping for the night.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

the consistency of big chains is comforting, we had a bad experience in a mom and pop place last fall...yikes, their contractors and tilers were crazy!

8:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I guess the best alternative would be camping, but I can't stand squatting in the stand like a cat.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

3:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thank you, Erica.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home