Monday, June 11, 2007

Clear


I am fascinated by clear things. How odd is it that there are things in this world that we can actually see through. In nature there are transparent crystals, there are gasses and some liquids and ice. Generally, everything we come into contact with is solid or opaque.

Isn’t it a wonder that humans heated up some opaque silica and came up with a clear glass? All our building are designed with glass windows. We take them for granted. They keep the elements out and let the light in and out.

Not only was that a remarkable discovery, hundreds of years later someone discovered a way to create clear plastics like Plexiglas and flexible plastics for wrapping food and making baggies for food.

I don’t mean to get over romantic about clear things, but without them we wouldn’t be able to have any lenses for cameras or eye glasses. No microscopes or telescopes. We wouldn’t be able to have commercial air liners, TV, movies or computers. Consider all the cool things that clear items make possible in our lives.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jaggy said...

Humans have known about glass for a long, long time. When lightning hits sand, it creates natural glass rods. These rods are some of the neatest things I've had a chance to see.

You talk about clear things that are tangible, but what about air? Too easy, right? That "air" stuff is pretty important, and we can do so much with it. Bottled air, jars of air, fast air, gentle air...

Yes, I think about these things too.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy - lay off the herb.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hmm...so Pam thinks you're doing "the herb?"

I was going to compliment you on the fact your posts make me think about things I take for granted.

Maybe I should just indulge a little myself and I'd see the world through your eyes...

8:05 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, air is a gas and mentioned in the article. As Ememenaespha said in the Lathe of Heaven, "Clarity is Pleasurable."

Pam, I really miss herb, but you know, I probably wouldn't do it again even if it ever becomes legal.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered about clear solids. Just what is it that is keeping it all together?

5:16 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

I don't know, trish, but did you know that glass is technically a liquid? If you ever come across some very old windows you'll see they're thicker at the bottom where the glass has flowed over time.

4:17 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Glass is considered a semi-solid. Now that is interesting. I wonder if there are any other semi solid things out there. Are humans semi-solid?

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herb?? Herb who??? the WKRP sales guy???

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home