Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hood to Coast


Yesterday was the Annual Hood to Coast marathon. This is foot race that starts on Mt. Hood and finishes on the beach in Seaside. It is also an opportunity for the city folk to pile into a van and waste hundreds of dollars of fuel by driving at two miles per hour the entire distance while blowing the horn constantly to show support for the person who is presently doing their job for the relay.

Hood to Coast is supported by people who don’t live on the travel route, but those who live on the route have long tired of all the horn blowing noise and gas guzzling vans blocking their drive ways and parking on their lawns, let alone all the tacky crap they write on and bolt to their vans.

Anyway, I was driving home from Brim’s and was behind a neighbors’ pickup truck. On the tailgate he had a sign that said, “Caution, Idiots Running on Road.” I pulled over just so someone else could ride behind him and enjoy it, too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? It wasnt that long ago that people on the route had loads of garbage thrown into their yards as well as human excrement. At least that doesnt happen anymore, or at least that we know of. They do have that 800 number you can call and make complaints to after the race is over.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an idea. Every year when they have the Columbia River Crossing they completely close the entire route the runners take until the race is over. Then a bus comes along and picks up the stragglers before it is reopened to traffic. That would be the end of it right there.

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It used to be that they could all run until it was over, but now it ends at sundown on Saturday, ready or not.

I don't know if there is any solution other than having them run to
Tillamook. It's just an annual reason for locals to bitch, and that's always fun.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that in an area supported by tourist dollars the locals always hate those who visit and fund the local economy.

As a former HTC runner I do have to say that it is a hoot. I know its not your cup of tea Guy, but I have run it four times and had a blast.

I can understand residents along the course route being frustrated but I love it that some have decided to cash in by selling food and beverages at inflated prices and really cashing in on the event. My favorite are the homes who let the participants use their garage bathrooms...for a price.

What I can't understand is those idiots along 16th Street who are complaining about the "noise". Geez, you chose to live next to a major collector street....Deal with it or move...

Love,
Anon

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hood to Coast is a relay; not a marathon. Marathon = 26.2 miles, every time.

I'm a frequent HTC runner and seriously do my best to respect the residents along the course. I can honestly say that I picked up more garbage than I left along the way.

As far as traffic goes, until everyone can afford to own their own roads, I suggest that we get used to sharing them. A little inconvenience on one weekend a year is really a small price to pay for the use of roads funded as much by HTC runners as by the people who live on those roads.

You can run or drive slowly through my neighborhood anytime you'd like.

3:40 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tim, does that mean I can park on your lawn, urinate behind some shrubs and blow the horn every time I see something move? Damn, you are neighborly...

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home