Friday, December 28, 2007

Green Eyed Monster


Recently I was talking with a friend about contact lenses. I’ve worn contacts for the last 30 years so I was happy to offer my personal experiences with them. We talked about daily wear, extended wear, bifocal and colored lenses. She wondered about the colored lenses I once had which brought to mind a funny story.

Once I had two pairs of colored lenses. My eyes are naturally light blue, but I got a pair of ultra blue and a pair of green lenses. I would wear one color for a week and then I’d switch to the other the next week. Oddly, I always found myself in a foul mood when I wore the green lenses. It was noticeable. One week I was fine and the next week I was a monster.

I even experimented by switching colors every day, and the effect was the same; green days turned me into a monster.

The lenses did tint what you saw. If I had a blue lens in one eye and a green lens in the other, I would see the world a little bluer in one eye and greener in the other. This to me was proof that color can influence moods.

I have since gone to clear lenses. Maybe I should try rose colored lenses to improve my attitude.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaggy said...

WOW!

My experience has been exactly the opposite. I've been wearing green contacts and clear contacts alternately each for two weeks for about six years.

I used to be more flirtatious with the green contacts in (now I simply have no shame). With naturally hazel-to-yellow eyecolor, the green contacts really change my eyes to green. People have stared. I need to order more contacts next month, and as much as it pains me, I'm thinking I won't even get any green ones. They're great, but they're a bit more expensive.

The green always calmed me down. Green is one of my creative colors (in my head), so seeing the world a little different helped me.

Maybe you should try the purple ones...

7:45 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Forget the rose coloured lenses - stick with clear ones.
I like your view of life.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Get one red and one blue ... so you can see things in 3D. lol!

I tried contacts once. Could put them in in the office, no problem. Couldn't put them in at home, though. So went back to glasses.

Maybe I'll try that lazer surgery one of these years.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy with Purple Eyes, Jaggy ?

Ew, too scarey to think of. Must start drinking heavily to make mental image go away........

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL love the idea of rose coloured lenses to improve the mood!!

The picture on your post today is awesome Guy......:)

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, I was considering the ones that look like cat eyes.

Why thanks Beth. That was sweet to say.

Walt, that may help with dyslexia as well.

Auntie, better not read my reply to Jaggy.

Boo, run with it and get a paper published on the topic.

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home