Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Beautiful People


I am not one who is obsessed with vanity. Sure, I may have a bit of an ego, but as far as my personal appearance goes I couldn’t be bothered. I’ve never thought of myself as being particularly good looking or “cosmetically challenged” ( a phrase I coined since ugly is such an ugly term.)

I am always surprised when someone pays me a compliment on my appearance. I mostly get compliments on my blue eyes. That’s cool, I’m gracious about compliments. The funny thing is that sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror while I prepare my morning shaving ritual I somehow see Johnny Cash in his later years looking back at me. My hair looks thin, my face looks exaggerated and lumpy, but somehow I look rejuvenated not long after that.

When ever I am complimented, I wonder what life must be like for people who are truly good looking. I’m talking about human specimens of extreme pulchritude who are so good looking that people constantly stare at them.

I’ve seen beauty worshipers do some real goofy things when a person of beauty enters the room. What are they thinking? Do they think their obsequious behavior isn’t noticed? Worse yet, how is a person of beauty supposed to react to this sort of stupidity?

Yes, I know people who know they look good and they not only expect this sort of behavior, but feel insulted if it isn’t forthcoming. I know people who feel cursed by their beauty.

I recall a character named Vida, in Richard Brautigan’s book, The Abortion. She was so beautiful that she never wanted to leave her house during daylight hours because people would drive off the road from looking at her. She felt very guilty for looking nice.

I suppose one must consider the pitfalls of attractiveness. The best line I’ve ever heard on the subject was I heard someone describing someone else as being attractive, and their partner came back and said, “Yeah, and worms are attractive to fish.”

11 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Wish I could further your understanding of those "cursed with beauty" but, alas, it's not a problem I have.
And that's a good thing, right?

5:27 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I like the Twilight Zone, "Eye of the Beholder" - Janet has had multiple surgeries to fix her ugly face. They unwrap the bandages and she is sadly, still horribly deformed by their standards.

Of course, Janet is actually gorgeous and the rest of the people on Earth hideous.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hard to say.
In males, I find the traditional "beauty" unappetizing.
Brad Pitt...ewww.
Everyone's different. Some fish won't hit on a worm.
cheese works for me. ;)~

7:55 AM  
Blogger Patrick McGee said...

One key element in "Beauty" that has always influenced me is "The Cerebral Element" and "Rust" this, by no means is a come-on and let's get that straight right now!

8:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, Funny that you had a post on make-up today. I really respect people who realize make-up rarely does any one any good. It's like a beard, only being worn to hide something.

Lori, Rod Serling was so ahead of his time. His Twilight Zone series would make a great Humanities class.

Nootka, so you are in to the Lyle Lovett type, eh?

Patrick, I know I'm not your type at all, but do I detect a compliment under all of this? If so, thanks. If not you can join in on the trash fest going on over at KAST that isn't happy I don't harp endlessly on the LNG topic. Actually I've backed off LNG because you are doing a better job at it that I would.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

If "beauty is only skin deep", how is it "what's inside that counts"?

What's inside is beneath the skin, thus it can't be beautiful.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

They say that beauty is skin deep, but ugly's to the bone.

As a woman, I want to look attractive as I get older, but on the other hand, I am enjoying the utter dropoff of attention. When I used to walk home from school in Southern California, I used to get catcalls and a lot of unwanted attention and it just made me very stressed, and I was by no means one of the beautiful people at my school.

Haven't you heard about supermodels who can't get dates? Be careful what you ask for, in other words.

What about people who literally deface themselves in the quest for beauty, and end up looking freakish, a la Joan Rivers, et al.

4:25 PM  
Blogger weese said...

shyeah.. sucks to be me.
;)

1:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt...what can I say.

Mo3, you've still got it, you just don't leave the house often enough to find out.

Weese, I somehow have a water color image of you...

2:57 PM  
Blogger weese said...

i look that way in real life too.. all swirly and colorful :)

2:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

By the way the reason VanGogh painted that was is because he was on digitalis which the toxic effects makes things look yellow and swirly. Cool, eh?

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home