Saturday, January 12, 2008

Slowing Down


Since turning 50 a few years ago I’ve noticed some physiological changes in my strength and endurance for doing physical work. I’m not really disturbed by this since I get to do fewer unpleasant things or at least I get to spread these tasks out over a longer period.

Most noticeable is how much I’ve slowed down. I drove somewhere this morning and I am one who likes to watch my speed, but every time I looked down at the speedometer I saw that I was driving at 35 miles per hour. This is a comfortable speed for me these days. I also find myself pulling over to let people pass me.

I noticed that for some reason writing a check takes me longer, so in being considerate when shopping I will write out the check ahead of time so I only have to fill out the amounts slowly when it’s time to pay.

I notice how the media is geared for those of different ages. Commercials for a demographic of people ages 18 to 24 have a lot of cuts, lots of images and sounds. Commercials for older folks usually have changes or cuts every seven seconds.

I remember when I was in my 20s I could actually hear and comprehend several discussions going on at once. Now when I speak with someone I have to turn the radio off and focus. Talking on a cell phone and driving at the same time, forget it.

I eat slower these days as well. I never eat fast food. I prefer slow food.

I do not intend for this to be a complaint of aging. I actually am enjoying going slower. I don't accomplish all that much, but I feel safer and I am seeing more and enjoying things much more deeply.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, have you noticed how fast younger people seem to talk? I used to get so annoyed when older people couldn't understand what I was saying. Now that I am one of the "old folks", it seems to me that all young people talk with the cadence of a machine gun! Not sure whether it's my brain or my ears--probably both!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Karlene asked me this morning, "Why are you driving like a grannie?"

I answered, "It's how I drive now"

Then we both busted out laughing.

But truthfully, I'm slowing down too. Much less texting while driving. :P

11:56 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Anon, its your ears! Love ya.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this slowing down must be why the hours, days, weeks, months and years seem to be speeding up.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to take my murdercycle for a quick spin, next time.
5 gears; redlines at 85 in second.
:-;

5:49 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Aw hell. I am just getting used to the changes after turning 40, and now you're telling me there's another brick wall? I am not a good slow person, but this will be yet another lesson I will have to learn.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

At least you're still young enough to know to pull over when you're holding up traffic.

ROFL

9:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, you might just be older than me to realize that, but then I don't associate with too many outside of my age range.

Syd, you mean you have backed down to 65 in school zones now? I'll remind you of the photo you took of yourself texting while going 80 just a few months ago. Just tell me you have taken up wearing seat belts and I'll stop busting you.

Auntie, how do you know who that is? I can see their IP and I haven't a clue.

Elderly, time is relative I suppose. Things coming at you seem faster than things moving away.

Gearhead, how slowly can I get to 35mph?

Mo3, Your kids will keep you young, at least for the next 14 years, then it all falls apart.

Walt, I guess I'll need to buy an RV soon. That way I can ignore everything behind me.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great one more blue haired old man in a hat going 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane refusing to move over.

Dude, one finger waving is not the Hawaiian good luck sign no matter what people told you.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home