Monday, January 07, 2008

Name That News

One of the first things I do when ever I visit a new town is purchase a local news paper. Most of my travel is for speaking engagements and it is nice to look at the snapshot the local paper offers me on the local issues and things that I just don’t see living in Astoria.

I also find it interesting what local papers are named. I am somewhat put off by names like The Astorian or The Oregonian because their name comes with the implication that they are the voice of their residents, when in fact their editorial and corporate philosophy have little to do with what the residents actually believe and desire. Though all news papers are pulpits for their publishers and editors, sometimes you can tell their direction from their names. Here’s a list of some I’ve come across:

The Record, The Call, The Times, The Daily News, The Statesman Journal, The Journal, The Tribune, The Star, The Ledger, The Post, The Herald, The Observer, The Telegraph, The Republican, The Democrat, The Independent, The Signal, The Gazette, The Banner, The Beacon The Messenger, The Planet, The Eagle The Review, The Sentinel, The Union, The Sentry, The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Bugle, or any combination of two or three names above.

There are some that have a different sort of charm to their name like: The Home and Store News, The Sacramento Bee, The Picayune (Which means a coin of little value.), The Intelligencer, the Argus (In Mythology, Argus was giant with 100 eyes, set to guard the heifer Io: his eyes were transferred after his death to the peacock's tail.)

Writing this I am reminded that the names of our Blogs often speak volumes about their authors as well making me feel even better about being Astoria Rust.

13 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Our paper is the Sacramento Bee

What the hell kind of name is that?

The best non major city paper? The Omaha World-Herald.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have "The Northern Light" here.

6:55 AM  
Blogger 4 said...

I gotta go w/ my local Register-Guard. Definitely a cool name and a decent paper in my opinion.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Agreed re: Blog names.
Although some names are so strange I can't figure them out - which I suppose also speaks volumes (either re: them or me...).

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favorite newspaper names are the Cleveland Plain Dealer and (apropos of the Oregonian and the Astorian) the Scotsman (published in Edinburgh). Another is the afternoon Seattle paper, the Post-Intelligencer. (Whatever an "intelligencer" may be.)

9:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, In added that to the unique name section.

Moosehead, Nice one!

Matt, are they guarding the register down there pretty well?

Beth, now there is a blog topic for you.

Isaac, Plain Dealer sounds like a real estate trade publication. The Intelligencer made on the other list in the section below the other names, but it sounds like a detective novel phrase where the author wasn't exactly a native speaker.

12:29 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Fredericksburg, Virginia, has The Free Lance-Star, which of course was once two newspapers--The Free Lance and The Star. I guess they got married and hyphenated their name.

In Houghton, Michigan, (on the UP) I found a newspaper called the The Daily Mining Gazette. Most of the mines are gone now but the paper has been published since 1858. The way I discovered it makes for a good story:

I had just come into town on my extended road trip and set out on foot to look around and make some pictures. Walking down from the upper level of a parking deck I saw two women near a burning dumpster at the back of a building. The ladies had already summoned the fire dept. so I started tripping the shutter and documented everything until the flames were out. That's when a reporter from the Daily Mining Gazette showed up fumbling with a camera it seemed she wasn't familiar with. After she finally got some snaps of the now only smoldering remains, I asked if the paper might be interested in some of my pictures of the hot, breaking news. Mine, after all, had flames and firefighters in action. She said, yes, they would be interested. The funny part is that the dumpster was at the back of the Daily Mining Gazette, and I scooped them on their own property!

One of my pictures ran on page two the next day. It would have been on page one but as it turns out the dumpster fire was on the same day as Dubya decided to start the Shock and Awe program in Iraq.

3:38 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Oh, I should add that the Free Lance-Star doesn't make its online readers pay for content and make some articles available for subscribers only. They don't publish everything from the hard copy online, but everything online is readable by anyone. The Washington Post puts the entire paper online for free, requiring only that you complete a simple one-time registration.

3:47 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Hell, while I'm busy clogging your comment section I might as well post a link to the pictures mentioned above:
Linky dink
Click on "Michigan 7" and "Michigan 8."

3:57 PM  
Blogger CB said...

Even Oregonlive.com is free but heavens no not our daily, which costs more than the statewide paper! My grandparents never called it the Astorian, it was always the Budget, or Daily Budget. My parents never called it the Astorian until they quit taking it, and then only in disdain. Clatskanie's is The Chieftan, did you forget that one?

10:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Too funny, Rich. You, too were screwed by Bush.

Sorry CB, but Clatskanie rarely ever gets on my radar. I don't know why, but I always ignore that town.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My blog name is vitaanteacta, or "a previous life" which while I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, I DO feel like I've done certain things over and over again, even if I don't actually remember doing them.

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

DeJaVou, and if you feel like you'll be doing them again it's VouJaDe.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home