Saturday, December 29, 2007

Isn't That Swell?


Some call me nostalgic, some think I’m lost in the past and some say I’m resistant to progress. Yeah, yeah, yeah… Maybe so, but I find I’m really missing a term that was in heavy use during the 50s. Remember all those old shows where when someone liked someone or something they said, “I think that’s just Swell.”

No, I don’t get how the word “Swell” became something desirable. I should consult my Flexner-Berg books on that one, but that is a term that I haven’t heard come from anyone’s mouth in forty years. Maybe it's because things haven't been so swell since the 50s.

Doesn’t it just make you want to watch an old episode of Lassie, Dennis the Menace, or Jimmy Olson on Superman just to hear it again?

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Lassie made me cry, Dennis drove me crazy and Jimmy Olson bugged me. But I don't need to watch old shows to hear the word "swell." My mother still uses it!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked the proper use of the word, "Gay" back in the old days.
But


Comment Deleted
This post has been removed by the blog administrator.

1:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, Cool! May I ask what age your mother is?

No way, Gearhead. Even before "gay" was adopted, it was still gay to use that word in speech, and I did not delete the rest of your message. When I delete one of your messages you'll get a phone call first.

6:39 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Swell? Groovy, man. Just far out.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

What a swell post. Are ya back where ya can take a shot of the footwear?:)

4:00 AM  
Blogger Steve H said...

i actually use 'swell' on a daily basis (perhaps i watched too much tv as a kid...)!!

4:23 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rich, that's the spirit.

Mike, I've gotten used to the new ones so I've abandoned any future search, but thanks for the offer.

Hotwire, Maybe we should all use it once a day. That would be swell, wouldn't it? There I've done mine for today...

6:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Guy - My mom is 80.
She had me late in life (a miracle baby) so that would make me 30!
(Big fat lie...)

8:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Interesting, I figured one would have been a teen in the 1950s to latch onto that word.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home