Thursday, January 03, 2008

Missing Colors


My wife’s father and both of her children are red-green color deficient. Color blind is what it used to be called. She first discovered it in her children when they would come home from school with their crayon drawings and all the trees in their pictures were always colored brown. When they look at things that are red or green they see them in tones of brown.

One color they see really well is yellow. My father-in-law has two yellow cars. He says it’s easy to find his ride in a parking lot where all the cars look the same.

My post from the other day about colored contact lenses reminded me of those blue blocker sunglasses that make everything look yellow. They are kind of cool because they make everything look brighter when it’s getting dark, but I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to live life missing a good portion of the light spectrum.

Another possible problem is that maybe people who are red-green color deficient can’t watch the Red Green Show from Canada.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

And that would be such a loss.
No "Red Green (duct tape) Show."

(And if you haven't watched the show, the duct tape reference will go right over your head.)

6:42 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy - you related to that Red Green guy?

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby is also color blind. When ever he gives directions to our house he tells people it is gray....its really green.....

Love,
Anon

7:21 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

My son remembers our brown house as gray. I think I better have him checked out. He might have the "I'm a man and don't notice things" syndrome.

7:40 AM  
Blogger pril said...

i forget who makes them, but there is a contact lens geared for people who play sports. It IS a sort of blue-blocker, and they are quite weird to wear.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers.”

Dave Barry

10:54 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I'm right there, Darlin.

Auntie, We do dress alike. How you avoided laughing when you say me last week is beyond me.

Love Anon, Really? I never knew that about him.

Lori, Could be something else, I read about what Notorious BEN was doing back in November... I like that kid!

Pril, welcome. How did you find your way here?

Moosehead, now that I think of it, you could easily slip from Father Christmas to Red Green. Got suspenders?

11:53 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

My BF is totally color blind. Can barely detect blues and yellows and thats about it.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We LOVE Red Green. In fact, Slave Hubby has adopted "If women don't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy." as his motto.

12:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I hope his night vision is better to compensate.

Mo3 I could see Slave Hubby on the show with a lap top strapped around his neck. Opossum lodge needs him.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home