Saturday, January 05, 2008

No, You Call


Though my wife and I are dissimilar in many ways one common thing we share is our dislike of telephones. When ever our phone rings we look at one another and try to figure out who should answer it. I feel it should always be her because I rarely get phone calls. She has parents, siblings, friends and her children who call her and when I answer the phone I usually have to do some friendly bantering before I hand the phone over.

Worse yet is when we need to make a call it becomes a contentious battle; “You call!” “No, you call!”

Though I really dislike cell phones, I hope that one day we have cell service where we live so we can drop the land line all together. This way her calls will come to her and my calls can go to my voice mail because I rarely turn my cell on unless I’m in transit. There are only three people who know my cell number so that rarely rings.

There will still be the “No, you call!” argument, but I do have to look forward to hearing loss as I age. This will change the phone equation drastically.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Unlike (perhaps) the rest of the world, I don't own a cell phone - yet. I'm thinking of getting one for numerous reasons - one being that I wouldn't be the only one in this house who feels obliged to answer the phone - and the calls are NOT all for me.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

My stepdad's hearing loss helped him immeasurably. Though, once in a while, he HAS to answer the phone. He can't hear a damned word I'm saying. He just says, "Let me get your mother..love you."

6:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just got my first cell phone.
I'm rather annoyed that I needed to.
There are relatively few people that I truly enjoy talking with. Most of the time it feels like drudgery.

9:52 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I don't mean to poke you with a stick, but sometimes I'm surprised you even use a computer. You strike me to be counter-techno.

Lori, he should just deny that he can hear it ringing.

Nootka, I got mine as insurance, for when I'm on horseback in the back country, or being sucked out to sea in a kayak, but I do now keep it on so the three who do call me can call me.

6:03 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I don't mean to poke you with a stick, but sometimes I'm surprised you even use a computer. You strike me to be counter-techno.

Lori, he should just deny that he can hear it ringing.

Nootka, I got mine as insurance, for when I'm on horseback in the back country, or being sucked out to sea in a kayak, but I do now keep it on so the three who do call me can call me.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

The ring of the phone just does something to set my teeth on edge. I don't know why. Okay, I do, but that's an article. Not a comment. At any rate, I keep mine turned down and if I happen to see the messages flashing when I walk by, I might check them, that is if I'm not on my way to a hungry, bleeding, poopy child or some other life-altering chore. That being said, my didsdain for the phone has nothing to do with many of the people calling. In fact, I like my friends a great deal. It's just the ring that jars me and sets my teeth on edge. Maybe if they changed the sound to crashing ocean waves or something...

11:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Which is why I never call your home.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home