Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Cultural Understanding


I’m confused by a certain evolutionary process and this would the Geeks. I’m talking Computer Geeks by the way, not Circus Geeks. Are people born Geeks and then develop the Geek look, or do they take on the look first and then succumb to a life style of technology?

I just find it odd that a high percentage of Geeks both possess the technological knowledge and that stand alone look.

Now I don’t mean to disparage their looks or their knowledge. I’m just commenting on it. They may look and behave any way they wish. I have no problems with Geeks in the least bit. I find their earnest attempt to function in this world with entirely different social skills to be at times courageous.

Though many engineers are Geeks themselves, they make products with Geeks in mind because it is only the Geeks who actually "get it." The Geeks are the guys who actually read the manuals.

It is usually the goal of most people to either stand out or to blend in. Somehow I don’t thinks Geeks want to do either. For the most part they stick to them selves and you don't really see them all that often. They are their own culture and they have no intention of assimilating.

Imagine yourself living slightly out of step from the norm. Easily I would be a cultural stand-out if I went back to New Jersey and continued dressing as I do here with my Wellingtons and flannel shirts. Sure I could act a part for a while, but a total social change might be out of the question for me at this point since I carry the baggage of my culture every where I go.

Anyway, I like Geeks. I think there should be a day to honor them and their achievements. Oddly, I bet they already have a day and I just don't know about it because I never read the manual.

11 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Geeks not only read the manuals, they write them and enjoy perusing them in their leisure time.

I went out with a geek in high school - kinda - he'd never on a date and wanted to go to a student dance. We went. He was an awful dancer, very geeky, but very sweet.

I hear he ended up being stunningly handsome, married a gorgeous & brilliant woman, and is wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

Yippee to the geeks.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

My eldest could be considered a Geek (reads the manual, possesses an intuitive grasp of how computers work) but you would never know it from looking at him. He neither looks nor acts the part. Kinda nice to have around...

6:41 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I love Geeks.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So....
Do I file this in the "Self Deprecation" file or ??????
:-;

9:23 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Self deprecation? You or me? You are the engineer. Look at the other replies. The ladies love Geeks. I was only a fringe Geek. I could only repair the obvious. Didn't get a ham radio license because I couldn't remember code. I wanted to be a Geek, but I was too much of a slacker to ever find full commitment in that exclusive society.

10:06 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I read manuals. I thought that just made me thorough.

1:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Weese, you may be a Geek. Can I be your friend? And will you teach me to program my cell phone?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, I do look much more like the picture than you.
Not only do I read manuals, I wrote them for years.
As far as all of the chicks that love geeks; where were they when I needed them?!!!
They must have forgot to tell all of the gals in my home town about that little program.
As a geek, I don't think I even had a single conversation with a gal until college.
:'-(

3:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead I'm kind of thinking you were an intense Geek as a kid. I bet it was your wife that mellowed you to the point of respectability.

BTW, I've got all sorts of engagements lining up. I should drag you along sometime.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Actually ... the "Geek Conspiracy" is that they invented technology in order to have power over the non-geeks. It's a conspiracy that goes back to the dawn of time.

The first guys in charge of fire? Geeks.

The "priests" in charge of The Oracle? Geeks.

The guys who invented "Greek Fire" and "Black Powder"? Geeks that you didn't want to piss off.

It's a massive conspiracy to overcompensate for their lack of good looks and social graces. All leading up to the point where they are a global necessity.

Knowledge is power, indeed.

8:16 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, Let's not forget the Geeks in accounting...

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home