Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Air Power


I’ve got a small building project going on. It’s a chicken coop which is 6 foot by 8 foot and 8 feet high with a salt box roof. I’ve had all sorts of coops over the years, and it is time that I did one on a larger scale. It will be nice to have a walk in place in the coop to store straw and food. Egg collection will be easier being I will be able to walk right in and stand without crouching.

This building is of the size that it is neither big nor small, yet it’s big enough to bring out the framing nailer and the compressor. It just makes more sense to shoot ten nails in the time it takes to hammer just one.

The funny thing about framing nailers is that when you get a box of nails for the gun you generally get enough to build an entire house. The last box I got was enough to build the last addition on my house and build two sheds and some walls in a friends barn. I needed more nails for this job and at $50 a box I was almost tempted to use a hammer, but I have them now and it is probably a life time supply.

I also have a roofing nailer which I should be using on the project tomorrow. Out of all the construction tools I’ve ever purchased the compressor and nailers have saved me more time and energy over the years. When I think back to doing a roof with a hammer and nails, it’s like thinking about the stone age in comparison.

For small projects I use a pneumatic brad and quarter crown stapler. It is so nice no longer banging my fingers with a hammer, and to date I haven’t shot myself.

Anyway, this small project reminds me how I don't miss building. When I first moved here I knew little about construction. I remember putting in my first sky lights with my limited tools. I actually used a jig saw for everything back then. When the time came for the first addition our architect convinced me I could do all the work my self. Most people would have hired a contractor, but that would have tripled the price. We were on a tight budget, so I read the codes and studied the requirements of the plans and learned about things from the ground up and it all worked out. I never failed an inspection, though I did have to replace one window that needed to be tempered because it was too close to a bath tub. I've been wondering what to do with that former window for years now, so I decided to use it in the storage room of the coop.

For the promised update, we could no longer stand having the chickens in the garage so we set them free in the green house until their coop is finished. I need to finish it quickly because we need to plant tomatoes in there.

8 Comments:

Blogger weese said...

ooo, I covet your nailers and staplers.

1:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Weese, move a little closer, Darlin...

2:46 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Nail guns are all fun and games, until somebody gets shot.

I lived with a guy who was apprenticing to be a finish carpenter. Y'know? The ones who put up all the trim work.

Anyways, one day while he was using a nail gun to attach some door trim, his boss walks up from behind and starts talking, which startles my friend. My friend turns around and POW! Shoots a nail into his boss' bridge ... right between the eyes. His boss just reaches up, plucks it out, tosses it on the floor, and keeps talking.

Another time, my friend forgot to move his hand fast enough while nailing trim ... and shot himself through the hand.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Having been in the building trades most of my life, I've collected pretty much every useful tool for the trade. Being a wood junkie, I build furniture as a hobbie. I plan on taking everyone for a tour of my shop in a future blog.

Here is a link to my chicken coop:
http://tenasillahe.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/img_0490.jpg

Have fun building! Make sure to wear safety glasses. That's the number one injury that happens on the job.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo jealous, but then with my track record I wouldn't do well with a nail gun. My husband shudders every time I pull out a power tool.

Oh well, I'm proud of the fact I built my sorry little coop with no drawn out plans and almost entirely out of salvaged material. Despite all that it held up with a considerable snow load without a sign of strain and stayed dry inside.

7:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, I shot one off by mistake the other day even though the throat must be depressed while pulling the trigger. That nail sailed out of sight.

G, making furniture is something I want to get back into but I first need to fix the roof in my shop. Everything is being protected by tarps in there. If I shared a photo of my shop right now everyone would change their opinion of me.

CCF, your curious and determined nature somehow allows you to continue regardless of the dangers at hand. You actually seem better around power tools than your husband. He's more of a metal detector guy.

5:25 AM  
Blogger weese said...

packing...

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had more time to make furniture. Seems as I get older, life is busier. Oh well. All good things in all good time.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home