Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What We Are Not


It is said that first impressions last. Have you ever heard something someone thought of you that was totally off base?

My wife once worked in an office where the word was that she and I didn’t celebrate Christmas because we were very religious fundamentalists that believed that Jesus wasn’t born in December. The truth is that we are both Atheists and we don’t buy into all that Christmas stuff.

Another woman I know once told me that she heard that I volunteer and counsel young widows in my church, and that my wife doesn’t like it in the least. This one is funny on so many levels, first because I been a member of a church since I was 12 years old, next because I can’t imagine a congregation that has a guild of young widows that need counseling. My mother is the only widow that I actually know.

I’ve often been called a Canadian Expatriate when in fact I am a New Jersey Expatriate. Though I do hope to be an American Expatriate living in Canada some day.

How do people come up with this stuff?

15 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Evidently, you are and will continue to be (as long as you can still blog) a legend.

Widows! I can picture it though ;)

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing your love of the Christmas season, Auntie and I have talked of showing up at your dwelling with many potluck dishes in hand for an all out celebration of the season. Too late now.. maybe next year.

jb

5:24 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

JB, we could always shoot for Easter, another of his favorites. Or how about Valentine's Day ?

5:53 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

It seems to me that some people must have had a pretty in-depth discussion of your life to come up with that "stuff". that or there is some one in your circle like my hubby who will tell an outlandish story to some one he feels is being overly nosey, he can't wait till he hears it back.......
loopy

5:53 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Loops, anyone that has been reading this blog for a number of years (3 I think) knows about these particular "quirks" or eccentricities.

Circle of Guy!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Circle of Guy's?? That sure sounds kinda kinky Auntie!

Wait...what's that sound I hear? Could that be drumming accompanied by low murmuring chants??

Moose

6:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

JB? Oh the other JB. I wondered how Auntie knew the other JB. I'll fill you in the next time I see you. You missed a pot-luck with me opportunity earlier this month. It was a joy...

Auntie, most people don't know I blog.

Loopy, if the people talking about me ever read my earlier posts, the me they invented would sound pretty normal in comparison.

6:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, don't be going Iron John on us...

6:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You want to move to Canada?!
Move next door - you can help with all the shoveling of the snow.

8:15 AM  
Blogger g said...

i heard you like canadian bacon and eat it when you run out of regular bacon.

is this really true guy?

12:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I was thinking Victoria.

g, are you talking the tough ham or back bacon(aka fat back)...actually I'm not big on either.

4:55 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

See, I had heard that you were a Lutheran cardinal defrocked because of your galileic beliefs and in exile from samoa after that big "Post-it Note" scandal.

But that's just what I've heard.

6:29 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmmm.... young widder women! Yeehaw! Lemmeatem! Look out Martha! Some fool's let a bear in the cougars cage!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Can you afford to live there these days?? We live right near(very near) the border and the number of bargain seeking folks from a bit north of here is growing every day.

12:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Their dollar is worth more than ours.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home