Monday, December 22, 2008

Yeah, Yeah, Get Over It


I’ve finally did it. We got cable internet so all you IP trackers out there can now change the label on your tracker when I reply to one of your posts.

Oddly, the cable contractor that came out called around 8PM on Thursday. Charter is so backed up that they hired contractors out of Spokane to do all the new installs while the local Charter workers are cleaning up the blood from their recent conversion.

Now, you must realize that when things get simpler I, of course have to muck it up with complications. I bought a wireless router on Friday. The installation seemed to go along easily, but it didn’t work. I installed it again and still no-go. Then I installed it on the other computer and still it didn’t work. I really miss the days of plug and play. Why was that done away with?

I was going on my fifth hour of the twenty-minute installation when I realized it was time to call India. Some of the configuration just wasn’t taking. After an hour on the phone we got both configurations where they needed to be, however rebooting still didn’t activate either computers wireless functions.

It was then that I realized the switch on one lap-top was set in the off position, and the other lap-top that has a wireless beacon light to show if it is working is actually a beacon light switch. I hit that switch and the wireless function came to life. This lap-top is all black and it’s even hard to see the letters on the key board let alone see this was actually a switch.

So I am now up and running with high speed. Auntie will need to find something else to mock me about.

15 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Congrats guy! You'll love the speed of your connection. It's an awesome step up.
Now let's work on some indoor plumbing.... (grin)

4:04 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

OH, mon frere, that just frees me up to make light of other of your "quirks". ! Congratulations, by the way, on joining the cool kids.

(pfllt)<-- the noise Auntie makes when she comments on Guy's site and remembers he doesnt have veri-word.

5:19 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Traitor! Worm! tratorus wormius, yer not even a double agent eh? Whose gonna champion the little guy now, bacon boy? it hits below the belt to know you got it and we didn't, even after trying. there's high speed across the street and down the street, but they wont give sell us any. paugh!
loopy just messin' with ya

5:39 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, That's another problem with all the new neighbors I've gotten over the past two years,can't even pee out side any more.

Auntie, it is safe to turn that nonsense off. If you get a spammer you can turn it back on for a couple of days. It's been months since I've had to do that.

Loopy, what happened? They were going to install it for you last week?

5:51 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Auntie says...nonsense? NONSENSE? Why, if I didn't have veri-word, darev2005 and Loopy would never ever visit.

6:02 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

welcome to 2008! we hope you enjoy your stay...

(and i had the same problem with my laptop when i brought it home. couldn't get the damn innernets working! after two hours of downloading drivers, patches, fixes, and support pages, i realized that the switch was in the "off" position. d'oh!)

6:53 AM  
Blogger weese said...

well look at you.
whats next?
hi-def?

7:58 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

"time to call India" - LOL

10:18 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Welcome to the world of high speed.
I too miss the days of "plug and play" - as in, one or two plugs - not the 100 or so surrounding me now.

1:10 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We had the same problem with the wifes laptop when we got wireless. I felt like such a dolt when we discovered the little button on the side... D'oh!

3:48 PM  
Blogger g said...

wireless? hi speed internet? guy, is it really you?

i figured i might have slipped back into your dream post.

5:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, you may need to get a life.

Dalia, if our toasters caused us as much trouble as our computers we'd toss them in the trash.

Weese, what's that? ; )

Syd, He didn't even hide the fact he was in India. Usually they say their name is Bob Smith and they are in Colorado or something like that.

Beth, Dang you are sounding like me.

Darev, what I said to Dalia.

g, but I will never drive a Pious.

5:57 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

to guy: the cable company LIED to us, they either can't or wont get us cable after all.
oh well says loop

6:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

There is always DSL? Don't do satellite Internet unless you have big bucks to waste.

6:36 AM  
Blogger g said...

i'm waiting for T1 to come down in price a bit.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home