Friday, December 19, 2008

Grahams


If you remember I recently wrote about the joys of animal crackers, however lately I’ve got a thing for graham crackers. It made me curious about graham flour and what it is exactly.

The Wikipedia entry on graham flour states that graham flour is a type of whole wheat flour named after the American Presbyterian minister Rev. Sylvester Graham, an early advocate for dietary reform. According to the Larousse Gastronomique, Graham despised processed white flour and believed that bran was the cure-all for the bad eating habits of his compatriots.

Rather than simply grinding the whole grain wheat kernel (bran, germ, and endosperm), in graham flour the components are ground separately. The endosperm is ground finely, initially creating white flour. The bran and germ are ground coarsely. The two parts are then mixed back together, creating a coarse-textured flour that bakes and keeps well. Graham flour is used to make graham crackers and pie crusts, among other things.

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

As a child, one of my favorite snacks was graham-crackers-and-milk. I don't mean a glass of milk and a cracker to nibble: I mean graham crackers broken up and soaked in milk. Good stuff, but to really enjoy it, you need to have whole milk, not watered-down skim stuff, which is mostly what we use these days.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Dang, when I saw the title this morning I thought it was going to be an expose on the family of Billy Graham. (who I am told is like a telegram, only way more preach-ier)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comfort food is what Donna describes. Crunched up Graham crackers in milk. Today's snow day makes me want to eat that! Back to my childhood.

9:14 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i'm with donna. great snack. i do the same thing with crunchy granola bars. snap'em into little pieces and drown'em in milk.

grahams are awesome.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Graham was a cracker?? Dang...I didn't know that.

Moose

11:00 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Moose, you and me outta hang out more. ;)

1:33 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Guy, once again you have educated me. Just when I thought it wasn't possible. (grin) You know, a wheat kernel isn't very large to begin with. I wonder who first fostered the notion of taking those little kernels apart and doing different things with the different bits. And I'm sure some genius had to invent a machine to do the job. I guess I just don't know as much about wheat as I should.
P.S. I just love Graham Crackers. Always have.

2:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, a graham shake, eh?

Auntie, Sorry to disappoint you.

Nansen, be careful if you drive out to get any this weekend. I went out yesterday and saw a bunch of cars spinning or in the ditch.

Dalia, Does granola lose its crunch in milk?

Anon, He certainly is.

Darev, The graham cracker was developed in 1822 in Bound Brook, New Jersey, by Presbyterian minister Rev. Sylvester Graham.

6:11 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

granola bars stay crunchy(ish) if the milk is cold. but i like soggy cereal, and i grew up on porridge for breakfast, so i always put the granola bars in and pour milk over and THEN heat the whole thing up.

nummy!
but i understand, not for everyone.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home