Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Middle of the Road


Dalia commented on my article about Rap which brought to mind how ridged people really are with their musical tastes. There are people that I’ve known that have never let their radio stray from whatever their taste is and I’m amazed that they haven’t become bored with it all.

I am reminded of the decade that I spent working for the US Postal Service. This office had a strange arrangement with the radio. Every day at 5am the radio was tuned to this local station that catered to the senior set. The DJ played the same songs every day at the same times. The news, traffic, weather and commercials ran every day at the same time. The same morning jokes were run every day at the same time. I often wondered if there was actually only one show that was on tape that they reran every day.

Every morning the younger set was allowed to change the station precisely at 7:00am, and one might think that after suffering through the daily repetition and boredom; they would go wild, but no. They choose a station that was every bit as boring and repetitive. Every day at 7:00 it would play the song Monday, Monday; followed by Neil Diamond; followed by Simon and Garfunkle; followed by…

Every once in a while when one of the radio mob was absent I would turn on college radio stations from NYU or Fordham and few people could stand it. It was then that I realized that middle of the road is king in America. So the next time you tune into the Grammy Awards and wonder “WTF?” that is what America is listening to and paying good money to do so. Really, people. Try out something new.

12 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

When my oldest granddaughter used to spend almost every weekend at our house, she'd get on the spare computer in the next room and have her alternative (punk) rock playing constantly. Every once in awhile I'd hear something I liked the sound of and I'd ask her who it was. Went to two Van's Warped tours with her and practically got smashed in a mosh pit. Wouldn't take anything for the experience.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy, I enjoy listening to radio stations from around the world whenever I am on my computer, which is alot. Hope that is'nt too middle or the road america for you ! LOL

7:03 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I do tend to get stuck on one thing for a long time, but it's usually a cd that I have mixed myself. And it ranges from easy listening stuff to reggae to hard rock and even some of the milder punk, blues and different kinds of jazz and folk. Everything but rap. I still don't like it. Actually, I did like the rap version of "Walk This Way" that Run-DMC did. That was cool.

7:34 AM  
Blogger g said...

i have motorhead and the carpenters back to back. it matches my mood swings.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rap sucks.
I can't say that opera sucks, but I don't like it any more than rap.
Otherwise, my musical tastes are are more diverse than most people that I know.
But with that said, there always seems to be a few bands that suck in every category.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the only genre I don't like is Rap....I'm 51 and still enjoy listening to Top 40. Our stations here don't play current music, if anyone knows of a station that does, I'd like to know.

During my work day, I usually listen to Tom until 9, switch to music at 9 since I can't stand Rush, and then at 1pm I tune in to Lars.

Although I don't agree with many of Lars' platforms, I love listening, since he doesn't take any crap!

Anyone listening to Lars on Monday might hear me. There's been alot of discussion about the legal marijuana thing...I have a notion that nobody has spoken about, so I'm going to call on Monday

6:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Good for you.

Auntie,10 points for you, but there is much more out there.

Darev, you are on track.

g, now if only you could apply this to politics.

Gearhead, the key words are "most people you know." I know who you hang around with and they are stuck in the 60's. And they are in their 60's. ; )

Joni, top 40 has always been an anchor that generates Grammy awards. And Lars is a raciest so I can't stomach much of what he says. As for legalization of pot, if it were legal we could remove a large population from prisons saving us money and court time and benefit from the tax revenue.

5:59 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hear hear!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The TOTALLY fair and ballanced and compleatly unbiased Lars Larson, is not in his 60s. He is 50.
I have never heard him say one single racist comment about this nation's most hated social profile: the hard working, law abiding, tax paying, white, family man.
But I'll listen closer and if I hear anything, I'll let him know.

2:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, He's made several comments one of which when he was talking about coming back from a vacation with a tan and he said that with his skin color he was now qualified to mow lawns and clean toilets in hotels. I should start calling him when he is on his xenophobic rants and I'llrefer to illegals as Mexican ex-patraits.

5:06 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i used to work for a resale company, and the owner's son-in-law would complain, complain, complain when i would turn to the (only) toronto RnB station. "why do you guys always sound so angry?" he would ask, and promptly turn the radio down.

so, i got wise and started tuning in online. the next time he'd come into the office, he'd reach for the volume dial, only to realize that there was nothing he could do about the music. heh.

middle of the road music tastes is a deal-breaker in my books. it usually indicates a middle-of-the-road sensibility in all other areas of life.

9:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, I'm digging you more and more with every word.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home