Friday, March 06, 2009

Porcupine Noses


Years ago I had to miss one of our dinner meetings because the winds and rains made travel over Nehakini too treacherous. This is a road that was cut out of a rock mountain. Below the road is a cliff that falls 500 feet to the sea. After a good storm the road is cratered with rocks that have fallen from the cliff above. Rocks the size of engine blocks are not uncommon.

The next week I asked what I had missed, and the group said, “Porcupine Noses.” This is a story that this fellow only tells on very rainy and windy nights. I asked for a recap, but no one in the group would say a word. It wasn’t their story to tell and to them, telling someone else’s story is akin to sleeping with someone else’s girlfriend or wife. They just don’t tell someone else’s story.

I have met with then on other stormy nights, but somehow it’s never been stormy enough to rekindle and repeat the story. It has easily been ten years since the story was last told, and I’m hoping to be in their company again on a stormy night so I can hear the story of porcupine noses.

Yes, I have thought of the possibility that they have been yanking my chain over this story for all these years. I wonder if the story here is really how you yank the chain of a story lover, and that Porcupine Noses is just a good name to get me hooked. But somehow I still believe there is a special story out there waiting to be told again on a dark, rainy, stormy night where the power flickers on and off. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed because this fellow is a master story teller. He could tell stories about making peanut butter sandwiches and I’d be on the edge of my chair.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Now you've got me intrigued. Porcupine noses... porcupine noses... Sounds like one of the phrases Zippy the Pinhead would be shouting from the front seat of his 1949 Nash Metro. Either that or something completely creepy. We'll need an in depth report on that one. Use peer pressure! The public demands an answer!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

So if you ever do hear the story, you won’t be able tell it to us because that would be “akin to sleeping with someone else’s girlfriend or wife”?
What a tease!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure it's porcupine nose? Maybe it's porcupine knows...cause up here, if you get lost in the woods, follow a porcupine. He'll take you to the nearest trans Canada highway. Only valid for one trip...porcoupon expires upon arrival.

Moose

11:32 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Maybe it was "Porcupine Moses"? The infamous mountain man who, abandoned as an infant, was adopted and raised by a pack of porcupi. It was he who invented the first "whoopee" cushion - by placing a sleeping porcupine on someone's chair just as they were sitting down.

1:12 PM  
Blogger g said...

well i guess you were serious about me having to tell the story of the sheep pens every 500 feet.

still think you could tell it better.

i'll work on it.

7:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, having heard a great number of his stories, it could go anywhere. This guy is good.

Beth, I'd email it to you. I think I could trust that you'd never rat me out for telling a story that wasn't mine.

Moose, you have one for every situation. You amaze me.

Walt, you are well on your way of being a good story teller with that one.

g,yep. You need to own your stories.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I know what it is.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home