Thursday, March 05, 2009

Waking Up


Aside from alarm clocks and smoke alarms which are designed to wake anyone up, it is amazing what humans are able to sleep through. Think of the noises that homeless people sleep through. Think of the noises we sleep through. I’m always amazed to hear that there had been a wild thunderstorm that I had slept through. I’ve slept through earth quakes, sirens and I once slept through a train wreck that took place two hundred yards away from one house I lived in.

This topic of weird sleep habits came up at dinner with the guys the other night. One fellow spent his summers as a smoke jumper in Alaska. Upon his return home his girlfriends were always shocked to wake up and find him sleeping on the floor. He would unconsciously get out of bed in the middle of the night go back to sleep on the floor since he was used to sleeping on the ground. It would take months for him to get used to a mattress.

Another of the fellows would sleep well unless someone ran water somewhere in the house. The sound of water would wake him up in a panic and this was because he had a military career in a submarine where the sound of water running meant there was a catastrophic breach and a watery grave wasn’t far behind.

For me it is the wind. I can sleep through nearly anything but when I hear the wind I can’t sleep. I have had enough wind damage with trees falling on my house and out buildings. I’ve had roofs blow off out buildings and had shingles ripped off. The sound of wind to me means I will have to assess and fix something. Things I have spent building to code sometimes weren’t strong enough to withstand the wind. Trees that I loved were uprooted or snapped in half. I can’t even imagine what it must be like to live in twister country.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

So, can you sleep through your own "wind" ? LOL

Seriously, its kids mumbling in their sleep or the start of someone crying that can wake this mommy up in less than a second, no matter how hard I was sleeping through whatever storm, noise or Uncle B's snoring was going on at the time. I call it a mommy-gene

6:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I can usually sleep through almost anything, once I actually get to sleep. Anything, that is, but that damn tornado siren. I really hate that thing.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm capable of sleeping through just about any noise - except the sound of my kids coming in late at night.

Wait a minute - a mosquito buzzing around my head always wakes me up.

7:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I hope you don't start lactating.

Darev, It would jar me as well.

Beth, you're lucky. Most can't get to sleep until they get home.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subconscience has much to do with sleep control.
When we are heating with wood, (any time temp is below 40F) I wake every four hours to feed the stove. This is without fail, our fire never falters through the night.
When ever we heat with the heat pump (any time temp is above 40F) I sleep normally.
Also, all of the years that I set an alarm clock, I would almost always wake a few short minutes prior to the alarm.
I have always found this amazing.

12:32 PM  
Blogger g said...

snoring and LNG explosions.

7:29 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, every hour? Don't you bank your fires? I know it creates a lot of creosote, but that's what brushes are fore.

g, are you turning on the industry now?

5:32 AM  
Blogger g said...

do i strike you as the type to turn on industry?

let me put it this way, if GE wanted to set up shop with a nuclear plant at parking lot d at the south jetty, i'd be all for it.

i think Cheney did a good job as vp.

the daily a writes nefarious articles about people like me.

since you asked.

can i still come back tomorrow?

7:20 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i can sleep through anything - including my own alarm clock... but on the occasions where i start to snore i wake up IMMEDIATELY.

11:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, I thought the parking lots only went up to C. Now I could understand nucs if there were a way of disposing of the waste, but Cheney is a criminal. You're a good guy anyway. Misguided, but good.

Dalia, as you should. Don't sleep on your back and that should stop.

5:49 AM  
Blogger g said...

i figured if i hung out here long enough i could be re-guided.

and yes, there is a parking lot d.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home