Saturday, September 12, 2009

Autumn


It seems that autumn is the favorite season for most people. Who doesn’t get a warm feeling from the changing of the leaves, the final harvest from the garden, the kids returning to school, the first fire in the fireplace, or the smell of a hearty meal cooking in the oven.

There is also a sadness that autumn ushers in. I often tell people that I moved here for the gloom, but somehow the change of season makes me happy and sad at the same time. I’ve been noticing the changes already. I need to turn the lights on when I go out to feed the horses in the morning. It gets dark out long before I finish my outside projects. On the plus side I get to eat my dinner earlier. When the rains return I get to take days off. Another thing is I usually put on ten pounds every winter that I lost during the summer.

The sure signs summer is over is that the grocery store is now out of artichokes (I ate my last artichoke Wednesday night), Costco has the socks I like back in stock and Costco is already selling artificial Christmas trees. Bring it on Autumn.

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I'm always glad to see autumn come. I don't do well in hot weather anymore since I got a case of heat stroke several years ago. So I'm glad that it's gradually getting cooler. Soon I'll be wearing my long johns under my uniform and that always makes me feel like I have another layer of armor on. But it also means I need to bring a flashlight down to the shop when I work down there. It gets damn dark in my backyard at night and those black dogs of mine just blend right into the darkness.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

The early darkness saddens me but is (almost) offset by the pleasure of the cool nights.
Have already gained two pounds. At this rate, I will be a blimp by spring.

6:07 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

autumn is my spring and every year i grow to love it more and more.

the sound leaves make when they crunch underfoot, the first morning when its cold enough to see your breath, sleeping with the window open, under a heavy quilt, woodsmoke layed in the air....all of it.

i love it all.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

for the reasons that your Irish lass mentions, I too love autumn best of all seasons. Squash and crockpot season, roasted game season too. Many happy childhood memories from autumn

6:41 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I love the Blue Ridge in the fall.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

This is my favorite time of the year too except for the shorter days.

8:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, but with the fall come the corn harvest. Doesn't that bug you?

Beth, better plan now for a winter vacation. That should keep the weight off.

Irish, we don't have much of a fall out here. Things actually get greener. I too miss the leafs under foot, but I don't miss raking them.

Auntie, I'm sure you and Uncle B will be out slaying some sort of woodland creature to reinforce your feeling of comfort.

Trop, I never been there in the fall, but I did once do a fall tour through New England. It was amazing.

Tango, you may need a light box. Several readers can't survive without them.

6:10 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

The more of that evil stuff they cut down, the safer the world will be. When the cornfields are laid bare, I heave a sigh of relief.

6:35 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

fall is my favourite season for many reasons, the first of which being that my birthday is on the first day of fall.

secondly, i like that my wardrobe options increase exponentially with the season's arrival;

and third, fall is so freakin' pretty, ain't it?

9:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Fall in Montreal is exquisite.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home