Saturday, March 06, 2010

Animal Attraction Part I


I find it interesting what happens when you add or subtract an animal from a group. Recently my father-in-law dropped his cat off for us to take care while he spent a couple weeks out of town. His cat is nice but very big and muscular; not fat. Our little female cat accepted him and ignored him right away, but our male cat scrapped with him immediately and does so again every time their paths cross. Sam, the guest cat could easily kick my male cat’s butt. He out weighs him in muscle mass easily by 25%. Sam is just letting my cat feel superior.

When Sam goes back home today the other cats will have no reaction. It will be like he was never there. Sam will probably be delighted to going home where his creature comforts and routines have been established. He will need to reconnect with the life he had before his stay with us.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

My dog Sadie is always glad when intruding visitor-dogs are gone, I'm sure. But as you say, she shows no sign. Life simply goes back to normal.

5:20 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

They do love their routines. Our dog Daisy has been bored and restless since her sister went away. But she does get more personal attention now so I think it's helping to fill in the gap.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it interesting how people often act like animals when one is sexually attracted to another and are amongst a group.

They often say two people who are sexually attracted to one another will often start speaking alike, thinking alike, and eventually have their brain mapping capabilities become similar to one another.

I often wonder if this is the same case with animals.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

Above anon comment was me. Cell phone is being evil animalistic bitch.

10:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, regaining turf is important to animals. Sometimes that is all we have.

Darev, I also seen it where after the death of one, the other pet dies form a broken heart.

Shelly, no matter how evolved we think we are...we aren't.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Cats are very attuned to body language and scent. Even two cats that are best buddies will bristle if one comes home smelling like the vets office or some smell from the outdoors--even wet leaves can make them smell foreign to their friend. My neonatal kittens hiss at me if I have just brushed my teeth because it is not familiar to them. Love th photo of the kitty, is that the visitor or one of yours? Lovely, the green eyes and the blue (grey)fur.

1:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Teri, That's Sam's look-alike. But he is a good looking fellow.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home