Sunday, August 08, 2010

Another One Done Gone


I was saddened when I found a dead hen in the coop Thursday morning. It was one of the Wayendottes. She was dead in a corner. I removed her and the other chickens voiced their concern.

I studied her corpse in detail. There was no blood and no signs of predation. Her comb looked good and her feathers looked good as well. She seemed perfectly healthy during the previous evening when I locked the flock in for the night.

I look at every hen every day. When I lock them in their yard in the evenings I count them. There is Blue, four Reds, four Buffs, four Barred Rocks, four Black Stars and now only two Wyandottes. I watch how they walk, how they eat, how they respond to me and to one another. A sick chicken would stand out.

I suppose it was just a case of sudden death, but I’m looking at the other chickens for signs of sickness. They all seem just fine.

Our chickens were all hatched last year on August 4th. This is the second Wyandotte we’ve lost this year. The first was stepped on by my horse. I do realize that we will need to add new chickens to the flock since our hens will become less productive as they age. But maybe I could get used to having five or six chickens instead of twenty.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome? Hey, at least it wasn't a case of Spontaneous Chicken Combustion! Oooo that would be a mess...

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are down 6 birds in the last month. 3 young pullets to coccidiosis, 1 old roo to some short of stroke and 2 evil hens who were making the rest stressed so they went away. I am debating on whether to thin the old girls out of the laying flock before winter or to let them stay as warmth for the 3 younger birds who are staying.

I'm planning on getting some quality orpingtons in the spring.

9:52 AM  
Blogger g said...

I lost one chicken this year to some virus. Two other chickens survived the virus.

Lost a quail last week. Same thing - no signs of violence or sickness. Just died under the tree thing. I thought he was sleeping at first.

10:14 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that could have been a disaster.

Anon, You can order them now from Murray McMurray. They will be laying by New Years.

g, Though it's good to know I'm not alone, but sorry at the same time for your loss.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said "quality Orpingtons" not McMurray sort of almost what they are supposed to be birds. I'm not looking to get show quality birds but I want real orpingtons.

I have an incubator so I can get hatching eggs from a good breeder.

8:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ouch!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home