Sunday, August 15, 2010

Confession


Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I'm just becoming more and more pedestrian, but I can no longer tolerate craft brewed beer. It's all so bitter to me these days. I'm not a big beer drinker, but I've found that sometimes drinking it is a nice ritual.

Normally I purchased anything that was made with honey, so to support the honey industry, but even those beers are too bitter. I've been through the gamut of lagers, hefferveisen, ales, porters, stouts and so on and none of them taste good to me anymore.

So I'm at the grocery store the other day and I notice PBR in cans. I've seen PBR offered at local eateries such as the High Wheeler and I figured it's worth a try and it wasn't all that bad. I admit that it is better if ice cold, but I could actually drink all 12 ounces of it. It lacked some of the body that I preferred, but it wasn't bitter. I think I'll try some other national brands as time goes on just to see if there is a perfect fit for me out there somewhere.

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

It's time you switched to wine.

5:00 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

My favorite used to be Henry Weinharts, but I can't get it out here. Nobody has ever heard of it in this hell. What kind of place is this? Now I vacillate between a glass of the local mead and Samuel Adams. Even though I have quit "drinking" years ago, some days it's hard not to just dive right into the Johnny Walker and quit pussyfooting around.

5:24 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I'm guessing we won't be discussing this over a pint of Guinness?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Best night of the week is PBR night at Starlight.

11:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I switched from wine to beer. I used to be a French wine snob when I lived in the East, but it was hard to come by for a reasonable price in Oregon, so I stopped drinking it and I lost the distinguishing taste I once had.

Darev, Red or Black on the Johnny Walker?

Mark, afraid not, But I will discuss as you draw on one and I on the other.

Trop, you always come through when I need a friend!

5:32 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ach. Black, of course.

6:20 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmmm..... did you oversleep?

7:37 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh...I was 'carried' back to Oregon last week when I found a place that stocked Pyramid Apricot Ale! But I understand about taste and bitter, you could try some ciders, maybe?

11:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Is that like the egg shell trick for coffee?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

no, no...I mean like this:

http://www.freshbeerinc.com/products-ciders-meads.html

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home