Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When Does It Become Ridiculous?


I don't go out to eat all that often. Once or maybe twice a month. Years ago I'd eat one or two meals a day away from home, but with age I've become much more frugal.

I've eaten in places where I have no idea how they can actually survive on the prices they charge, yet others I wonder how they have gall to charge what they do. If the food is unique and crafted with imagination I have no problem with a premium price, but there are places that make ma ask how they justify what they charge.

Sometimes we all find our selves captive somewhere where you really need to get something. If you go to a Fair, theme park or an event where you are there all day you are pretty much captive. I was at a horse expo last weekend and I was shocked to see that bottled water and coffee was selling for $2.25. People were paying $3.50 for a single scoop ice cream cone. A large bag of kettle corn was going for $9 a bag. How can one justify this? I'd rather go without food for a day than be extorted.

I did part with five dollars for a hot dog and a cup of coffee, but I didn't feel good about it. Next year I'm packing my own lunch.

While I'm on this rant, there is a place I visit often for coffee. This place buys Costco muffins which cost about 60 cents each. The rap them in cellophane and sell them for $2.50 each and people actually buy them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm a cheapskate these days (in some matters) so I take my hydration bottle with me, filled with water. We usually take a picnic lunch, too, unless we're at a tractor show: the prices aren't bad at those, and a meal can be bought at reasonable cost... and the money goes to support the tractor club.

4:05 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

I'm convinced most people enjoy dumping their wallets into other people's hands. Admitting to using coupons garners scorn and if you compare prices you're wasting your valuable time.

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

its a captive audience and they are hungry. naturally they will pay. :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Oh lawsy yes. It drives me nuts. Unless it's good stuff like funnel cakes or those deep fried corn dogs that you can't get anywhere else, I'll go hungry until I can get somewhere cheaper. I usually carry a water bottle of a large coffee cup with me wherever I go. When I go to the movies I wear cargo pants with my pockets full of snacks.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

I think part of the high cost at fairs and movie theaters, besides the "captive customer" base, is the "don't be a cheap date" base. How many guys are gonna complain about the prices, and have their dates think they're a "cheap bastard"? I wouldn't, when I was younger. Now, I don't care.

10:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, for as many places you and Cliff go, the cost for eating out would really cut into your budget.

QQ, I use coupons when I remember them, but I don't usually have them because I don't get newspapers, and often coupons are for products that no one needs, processed junk food.

Auntie, we should start an overpriced concession business. And I do know that part of the high prices is because of the fees the events charge for the concessions to be there in the first place.

Darev, oh the movies, I've been to one in the last five years. I know how to last 90 minutes without food or drink.

Walt, welcome to middle age where we lose the need to impress ; )

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wrapped muffins are actually sold at $1.50 each....still high but hey, they got to make a profit! What's even worse, I take off the muffin top and throw away the rest. Talk about paying high prices for about 3 bites of food....desperation drives people to crazy behavior, such as paying $10 for a car wash.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home